1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Not happy with keyboard on S2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by matt542, Sep 7, 2011.

1. matt542

matt542 Member

Coming from a HTC Desire I'm really struggling to get used to the S2 keyboard , is there anything on the market which you would recommend similar to the Desire keyboard . I love the phone apart from this slight niggle , it's a massive upgrade from my lovely HTC :) .

Thanks for any suggestions

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Hi, I did the same coming from the Desire and I find the S2 keyboard fine tbh. Lots of little settings in there, including swype (you don't have to slide you fingers in swype, you can still type) but there are lots of other keyboards out there in the market also.
    What are you struggling with?

3. matt542

matt542 Member

I haven't looked into Swype but I don't really like the idea of sliding too much :) . I'm basically a lot slower at texting and I keep spelling wrong , I used the auto-correct thing on the desire where I would hit the space bar so it was easier . The predictive text doesn't seem as good on this and the keys seems too large if that makes sense !

4. henryronny

henryronny Newbie

Try gingerbread keyboard it's free and spot on. Unless you need to enter a

5. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

thats wat i thought about swype too, but it really is amazing. give it a try first :D if not, there are many other keyboards on the market that u could try. just do a search for keyboards n check out reviews, etc.. like henry mentioned above, the gingerbread keyboard (keyboard from android 2.3) is very good

6. B00001

B00001 Lurker

7. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

why on some keyboards is the area where the text is being typed too narrow so that you cannot actually see it, especially in landscape?

I have to switch keyboards between email and texting cos of this. Its a PITA.

My favs are smart pro and keypurr.

8. henryronny

henryronny Newbie

there's no comma button on the screen, but press the full stop for a second & it takes you to the punctuation menu. if you release the full stop without moving to something else in the menu, you get a comma

9. mvh

mvh Well-Known Member

Smart keyboard pro is my favorite. it has an option to make it look like the HTC keyboard.

10. Spewy

Spewy Well-Known Member

SwiftKey keyboard is fantastic, it's word prediction is second to none.
    It is a paid app but well worth the money.

11. lutin

lutin Newbie

Swiftkey X is very good and is free if you download getjar (which is also free). I find that the space bar insn't quite big enough though and I accidentally keep hitting the full stop button instead.

My current keyboard is GO Keyboard which I combines the layout of the gingerbread keyboard with the excellent spell correction of swiftkey.

12. uktivo

uktivo Well-Known Member

ive just carried out a very un-scientific test :eek: and used the following keyboards to write the following

Mary had a little lamb, she tied it to a pylon. A thousand volts went up it's bum and now it's wool is nylon.:D:D:D

I used Swype, gingerbread keyboard and Swiftkey... the results are....

drum roll please....

In third place. Swiftkey. Virtually every word was spelt incorrectly
    In second place. Gingerbread keyboard. Was marginally better than 3rd place in terms of spelling. I also found the design of it easier to look at

Leaving Swype keyboard in first place. It was the most accurate in predicting my fat finger typing and it was super quick to type the words..

That's my opinion for what it's worth..

13. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

i really like swype. think it's fab. just my opinion

14. arrow201

arrow201 Member

Look at "GO Keyboard" ...been working great for me :)

15. kmorm

kmorm Newbie

Besides Swype I like to use Smart Keyboard.

I used to use a N97 before Galaxy so with the Smart Keyboard, I find that a problem with it is that the space key should be on the other side of the full stop key and the comma should have a key on its own. Also some of the symbols are too many buttons away so I can't do my preferred emotions

Is there any tutorials on making keyboards? Its basically Java, right? I have some thoughts on a keyboard that would suite my preferences

16. Give swype a try. All my phones in the past have had a physical keyboard so it took a while getting used to it. At first I didn't like it much but I've had my S2 for about 3 weeks now and absolutely LOVE swype, absolutely superb!

17. MJC UK

MJC UK Member

Another user of the Go keyboard here. Coming from iphone ive found this easiest to use, and it has a comma key on thr front page! Also supports emoji

18. B00001

B00001 Lurker

If you install one of these other keyboards, do you lose the speech to text function?

19. that_maynard

that_maynard Newbie

Haven't tried it yet, but Thumbkeyboard is supposedly great. Another choice is TouchPal it's similar to Swype but is better with longer words. It predicts words that are longer on the fourth letter similar to SwiftKey. I enjoy TouchPal the best so far.

20. FiveFreshFish

FiveFreshFish Newbie

+1 for Swype. I can easily use it in portrait mode.

21. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Android Enthusiast

Another vote for swype here, I find I use the delete button on the stock keyboard more than any other key as it wants to choose other keys than the one I press. I tried various other keyboards, but always end up going back to swype. It's amazing, fast and responsive.

22. Arch Dandy

Arch Dandy Newbie

I use Better Keyboard, there is a free & paid version.

23. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast

FiveFreshFish likes this.
  24. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

+1 for TouchPal.

It allows for Swype type entry, traditional input and voice as well as having the facility to adjust the height of the keys.

Only been using it for an hour and it looks like a keeper. :D

25. PasiS

PasiS Member

I've been using Thumb Keyboard for awhile now. It is great for thumbing...

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews