• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NOT HAPPY!!!!! With OTA Was happy with leak 2.2

geno51

Jul 11, 2010
Wow what the heck.... When the leak came out I installed it and was running up until last week I never had one issue period I loved it loved the new features and loved the increase in speed.

Last week I sbf back to 2.1 thinking how much better they could have made it over the last 40 days (boy was I wrong) I have had to do no less then 3 batt pulls because my phone has froze completly. touch screen out 3 times. Open the camera it closes down right away among other issues. I have had my ringer go so quiet on its own that I could not hear it then check the volume and its all the way up WTF moto you screwed the pooch on this one wow.....!!!!

Gosh, yes, everyone is having the exact same problem. Of the thousands and thousands of updates in the last few days, every single one of them results in battery pulls and frozen touch screens.

It's definitely that Motorola "screwed the pooch" on the update and these are features of the update, and not problems specific to your phone at all. They actually deliberately added the freezing and volume issues in the last 40 days.

Upvote 0
Only problem was I was never rooted ever first thing. And when you sbf back to 2.1 its like your phone is brand new again. Just pulled out of the box.... This 2.2 does have some serious issues... only thing I can think is launcher pro plus could be causing some of the issues ??
You bring up a good point, and I don't know the answer to this. Perhaps 2.1 is not where you need to be to accomplish the Froyo upgrade. You should be at 2.1-update1 (?). Remember, moto pushed a minor update along the way.

Those who are sbf'ing back to 2.1 might be missing an incremental update necessary for the proper patching of the OS.

Upvote 0
Only problem was I was never rooted ever first thing. And when you sbf back to 2.1 its like your phone is brand new again. Just pulled out of the box.... This 2.2 does have some serious issues... only thing I can think is launcher pro plus could be causing some of the issues ??

did you have to be rooted to install the leak? it doesn't matter as rooting isn't the problem it's just what non rooter want to think. If you got the update you were stock are you wouldn't have gotten it. If I was you Id backup and do a factory reset to clean everything out and then reinstall only missing apps. See if that helps.

I run LPP and have no issues with it. We all have lots of different apps and it's just like a PC. Things can get hosed up for no apparent reason. SO think of it as reloading your PC's OS and doing a clean new install.

Upvote 0
Not one problem here... Did you try doing a factory reset?

I know this is redundant but I did a factory reset before upgrading to 2.2 and a factory reset after 2.2 was installed. That way I know nothing can conflict, even though I nkow Im probably over doing it.

EDIT: Actually, no I lied.. My battery manager forces closed when I try and access the statistics. Kinda frustrating. I'm surprised they haven't fixed that since the leaked versions.

EDIT2: Someone suggest to go into running applications and clear the battery manager's cache and the FC will stop. I did that and its seamed to do the trick.. Haven't had a FC in about 20 attempts.

Upvote 0
Not one problem here... Did you try doing a factory reset?

I know this is redundant but I did a factory reset before upgrading to 2.2 and a factory reset after 2.2 was installed. That way I know nothing can conflict, even though I nkow Im probably over doing it.

I did the same thing and haven't had any issues. I was forced to do the reset after sbf'ing due to the boot loop, but no issues after the upgrade/reset (except for one youtube hang)

For what its worth, I'm running Launcher Pro Plus and having no FC issues. Actually have had less problems with the OTA vs. the leaked version. No FC's on battery manager or maps yet....

Upvote 0
I did the same thing and haven't had any issues. I was forced to do the reset after sbf'ing due to the boot loop, but no issues after the upgrade/reset (except for one youtube hang)

For what its worth, I'm running Launcher Pro Plus and having no FC issues. Actually have had less problems with the OTA vs. the leaked version. No FC's on battery manager or maps yet....

Obviously someone who knows what they are doing...

Upvote 0
You'll never convince me that most of these problems arent user related.

I've been developing in Android for some time and in phone os for over 20 years.

Never had one problem with any mobile os.
Users need to be more careful, and who knows what goes on when rooted and what exact processes one uses to un root.
That does not explain those of us who in order to avoid such problems with the update never rooted, never loaded the leaked Froyo and never ran ADW or LP but still ended up with a phone stuck on the Motorola logo. In fact while very unscientific, so far this poll, http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/148070-official-2-2-froyo-ota-thread.html, shows twice as many people with unrooted phones having this problem as those with rooted devices.

I do believe there is some explanation and may be some common denominator but I don't think that simple user error can be blamed. Being familiar with working to deadlines, there is a chance that the update being released on the last day of the time period Moto had committed to may have something to do with it. I also think it being both a Froyo update and the first major device update combined in one increases the likelihood there being problems and issues with the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones