1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Not Happy With The Droid Charge!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by macman24, Aug 31, 2011.

1. macman24

macman24 Newbie
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    The Droid

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Have you contacted VZW to find out what they can do for you?

I don't live in a 4G area but when I travel to them I have NO issues at all.

3. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Baltimore MD
    As much as I hate to say it I have finally given up on the Charge as well. I was one of the lucky few that got it from Best Buy 3 weeks early and really talked the phone up. As great of a phone as it is I have had nothing but issues with my phone. Between random reboots, gps issues, and sluggishness I just can't keep using the phone. I can barely get swiftkey x to run on this piece of crap. I have rooted it and run every rom on it and just can't get it stable. Some times it runs great and sometimes its just horrible.

I was lucky enough to get Verizon to give me an early upgrade to something else. I am probably going to end up with the Bionic because I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Edit: Are you using hotspot on 3g? I can't get this phone to hold a 3g connection no matter what and I know for a fact I am in a good 3g area. I disabled lte to save a little battery because I had no power for the last 3 days due to the hurricane and I could not hold a 3g connection long enough on my Charge to do anything.

4. Richard6

Richard6 Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2011
    Texts are not working. Of several I have tried only one got thru. I heard this is a problem and there are others from what i have read. What to do? Back to Verizon or what? My screen shows ( 3 G ) not 4 G. Is this supposed to be this way? Bought the phone yesterday. Taking back today. Hope they can fix it I like most of the phone.

5. tmsimard

tmsimard Lurker
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    The charge is absolute crap. it never connects, loses connection when it does finally connect, phone sounds bad, audio speaker blows, rarely have 4g, sometimes go days with no connection. i took mine to Verizon n said i wanted a replacement n she only did a hard reset n now its even worse. do they not test the products before putting them on the market? or were the ego afraid of being damaged by admitting they made a big piece of junk here?

6. kool kat2

kool kat2 Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    Male
    Carson, CA
    Wow i actually like this phone. So much that I got one for my wife as well. Im in a 4g area and get excellent reception, the same as i got from my bionic. No problems with gps and i use it every week. It us a bit laggy but not unusable

7. Bozz5384

Bozz5384 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    I like ours too, both my wife and I have Charges and have since June. Its not a perfect phone, but would consider it pretty darn good after the GB update to 2.3.6.

8. richs10

richs10 Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    I'm happy with my Charge, especially since the GB update. All smart phones have some issues. They are complicated devices but they do amazing things given their size. Sometimes, I think we need to take a step back and remember how far these devices have come in just a few years.

Given the price I paid ($119 in August), I am still in learning about all this phone can do. With the car dock, the Charge has replaced my Garmin for gps navigation, my iPod for on-device music, given me Slacker (free Satellite Radio), InTune Radio (local or world-wide radio stations); all of the above broadcasting through my car's stereo via a simple aux-out cord. The Charge has replaced my digital camera and given me a video camera I didn't have. It's a hands-free device when on Bluetooth, a bedside alarm clock, and with 4G it gives me Movies and TV shows on Samsung Media App, Netflix and HBO Go in my pocket. I discovered the all important Angry Birds, and have a BEAUTIFUL SCREEN to watch it all on. On top of it all, every one of these apps (except the Samsung Media App) are free. Pretty amazing, IMHO.

Sure the Charge has an occasional glitch or two, but what modern smart phone doesn't? For example, I sat here last night and watched two of my friends wrangle over getting their new iPhone 4S's to work with the Apple FaceBook app. Everybody has an occasional issue or two. I've had to do a factory reset once, and more than a few battery pulls, but my Charge has never "not worked". If it had, I would have taken it back and got a new one under the warranty.

Yes there may be newer phones out there with more RAM or dual cores, but in a few months they also will be "outdated". It's the nature of this industry. I like my Charge and will stick with it for a while.

Rich

9. GrammieDroid

GrammieDroid Well-Known Member
    None

May 15, 2011
    Registered Nurse, retired
    Fairchild, Wisconsin
    Macman you may need to change your settings when not in 4G. Also I don't use their hotspot, I use the SVTP Wifi hotspot app from the market. I have no issues with the Charge since GB upgrade.

10. mdeva

mdeva Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    I sent Verizon a list of 65 bugs with this phone 2 months ago. Do you think they'd deign to reply? Not in your life. Time to dump Verizon. Time to dump Droid.

11. ctxx24

ctxx24 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    MID MICHIGAN
    some pp crack me up...lol

mdeva likes this.
  12. Blacklight82

Blacklight82 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    I've had the Charge for a week or so and no major problems so far. The phone got a little sluggish but after flashing a mod on XDA, the phone was quick and responsive again.
    Its a great phone but has a couple of minor flaws.
    Rooting was easy as heck. Rooting + Wireless Tether = better than Mobile Hot Spot.

13. mdeva

mdeva Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Like the man who fell off the Empire State Building who, on passing the 34th floor, said "No problems so far!"

14. Blacklight82

Blacklight82 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    Flashed TweakStock 1.4 and its running even better!
    Restored 35 of my apps and still runs like a champ.

DirgeExtinction likes this.
  15. pyrguy

pyrguy Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    We are running two bone stock Charges without big deal issues. It does run better when I was/am in a 4g area but, other than 3g speeds, no issues that I didn't have with dumb phones.

16. ayh127

ayh127 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 14, 2012
    This concerns me since I just bit on a Charge on Ebay!

17. Bozz5384

None

Jun 19, 2011
    I think the Charge has been a decent phone... for me at least. Not without some quirks but most of them were solved when the OS was updated to Gingerbread back a couple months ago.

I've been using my GPS, bluetooth, and just about every other option the phone has and it all works pretty good.

Battery life is iffy, but that goes for most (if not all) 4G phones on Verizon right now.

18. Cheriepye

Cheriepye Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    Los Alamos, NM
    I like my Charge too. I don't live in a 4G area but when I move into one it's great.

19. WildH

WildH Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Like mine too! Especially the free wireless tehter via the svtp app!

20. mdeva

mdeva Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    "I can't wait to get rid of this thing."

Amen. AMEN!

AMEN!!

21. DirgeExtinction

None

Mar 5, 2010
    I've had mine since around a few weeks after its release and it's still going strong. The GB update breathed new life into this phone and made it a bit snappier while stock. Rommed out and with the right kernel, it's great. :)

My upgrade is coming up, so I'm waiting if Samsung announces a VZW version of their GSIII ;D

22. mdeva

mdeva Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    As a paperweight, I find this phone a little light; as anything else, it totally sucks. Do not, repeat DO NOT download ANY apps onto this phone. NONE! The phone will stop working altogether. I have logged 72 (SEVENTY-TWO) bugs in this phone. If you want an example, try using a Bluetooth device. Oh, yes, it might work the first time, or the fi(oh, and if youre havong trouble following thiels message, its because the cursor skips all over the place while writing. Like i say, enjoy your paperweight, but keep the windows closed - it wont hold papets down with moderate winds.).rst several times, but then come the issues. Can't connect to the BT device or it connects on And dont blame the BT device - i have four devices that worked with other phones, and NONE oe-way (i.e. you can hear the second party, but they can't hear you).

23. Cilraaz

Cilraaz Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Strange. I've had zero problems with my Jabra Extreme bluetooth headset. Over multiple ROMs/kernels from a few weeks after the device's release through now, I've had only very minor issues, which one would expect from pretty much any phone. With my current setup, I have no problems whatsoever.

I'm curious why some people have so many problems and others have none. Either there was a change in the manufacturing process at some point, or it's user error.

24. mdeva

mdeva Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Another bug - if you have an unretrieved voicemail - and the phone freezes (which will soon start to occur daily), and you re-start the phone, DON'T restart it in a quiet place, the phone will ring at top volume for 3 minutes while rebooting. The only way to stop it is to take the battery out. The good news is that you likely will become very adept at ripping the back off and snapping the battery out.

25. Bozz5384

None

Jun 19, 2011
    Hey mdeva, sounds like you have a lemon. Have you switched it out for another? My phone isn't perfect, and I have found bugs, but NOTHING like the extreme you have had.