1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Not picking up my voice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pensilva, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Pensilva

Pensilva Lurker

My Moto G% Plus is suddenly not picking up my voice for text messages or Google searches. Do not disturb is not on (if that could have any influence), and Google voice typing ("spoken results") is on. Are there other things to check or fix? Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what does it do? nothing? error? can you talk with other people ok? is it clear or fuzzy when you talk? was this all of a sudden? after an update?

3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Have you tried just restarting your phone? That alone can fix a lot of one-off software glitches, if that's the problem.
    Or if you have already, try wiping the system cache partition. You need to restart your phone into its Recovery Mode to access the 'wipe cache partition' option:
    https://www.hardreset.info/devices/motorola/motorola-moto-g5-plus/recovery-mode/
    (... but don't be surprised if your phone doesn't even have one. Depending on how your phone was configured, after Nougat the system cache partition was being phased out.)

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Pensilva

Pensilva Lurker

5. Pensilva

Pensilva Lurker

Ocnbrze. My phone doesn't do anything when I speak into it for text messages or Google searches. However, I can still conduct phone calls. The sound is not fuzzy, but a friend said that my call yesterday was cutting out intermittently. This happened all of a sudden, not after an update.

Svim, I have tried restarting more than once to no effect. I also tried wiping the cache partition (thanks for the suggestion -- instructions for my phone were a little different, but same basic idea), but that didn't fix the problem, either.

Any other ideas?

6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

hmmm other then to try a factory reset.....nope

7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Since all the problems you referred to just recently started happening and all centered on 'voice' issues, have you taken a close look at the microphone opening, that little pinhole next to the USB port at the bottom?
    Is there anything now obstructing it? If you have your phone in a case, if it shifted out of place the opening might become blocked. If you do see something that's actually inside that pinhole opening, be careful clearing it out so you don't damage the microphone itself.

8. Pensilva

Pensilva Lurker

ocnbrze, you were right. The only thing that helped was doing a complete factory reset. My phone is now working right, again. Thank you!

9. Pensilva

Pensilva Lurker

Now, text-to-speech is working for Google searches on my Moto G5 Plus homepage and in messaging. However, I have not been able to get the "Dictation" feature to work for WhatsApp chat messages. This is so even though:
    • Under Gboard, I have Voice Typing on.
    • When I start a message, I tap to bring up the keyboard and then tap on the microphone icon on the keyboard (not the one next to the message box, which is for voice messages). The keyboard icon turns acqua and pulses. I speak, but no text shows up in the message box.
    What else do I need to do to make this work properly?

Thanks.

Motorola Moto G5 Plus Forum

The Motorola Moto G5 Plus release date was April 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 12MP camera, 2-4GB RAM, Snapdragon 625 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

April 2017
Release Date
Reviews