1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Not possible to play music? Are you serious?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by benr3600, Jan 12, 2012.

1. benr3600

benr3600 Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    Hi,

I recently bought a Galaxy Nexus, and tonight I got around to putting some music on it. Well, after a couple albums synced to the phone, I decided to try it out. I opened the "music" app that comes on the phone by default, and it doesn't register any songs, albums or artists; zero. Soooo, I look elsewhere, find the "v cast media" app, and I try to open this a few times, and all it does is give me the "____ has stopped working" message. So I reboot the phone, try it again, same story. So, I download the highest rated media player from the market and give that a try. It actually acknowledges that there are two albums on my phone...but when I click them and click play it just sits and does nothing, like there is no file. I even tried adding a song to a playlist, and playing that, and then it tells me that the exact playlist I created doesn't exist :| So I plug the phone back in and go into the phone files on my computer, and sure enough, the files are on the phone, in wma format. I went back to the "music" app, which I had used without a single failure on my old DX, and once again it tells me there is no music on the phone. Is it just me, or is it extremely odd that there isn't even a "files" app for me to look at my pics, music etc. in? Nothing of the sort. I have no idea how to even access to make sure they're actually on my phone? Either this phone was created by a complete ****** who made things as counterintuitive as possible, or my phone simply doesn't play music, or allow you to access any of the files on its massive hard drive, other than photos in the "galley."

Halp, I just want to listen to some music FFS

Advertisement

2. xOutlawx

xOutlawx Newbie
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Have you tried any other music formats besides .wma? It looks like .wma files aren't supported on it from what I see online.

benr3600 likes this.
  3. benr3600

benr3600 Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    How do I change it? I mean, I literally just ripped it from the actual album (not burned disc) onto WMP and then synced it to the device. I've never, ever, had to deal with this issue, and this is now my fourth phone that I've ripped music onto from my CD collection. I am NOT pleased with this phone.

4. xOutlawx

xOutlawx Newbie
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    CDs ripped with iTunes (.m4a) work, so you can try that. I'm not sure which other players support .wma (Maybe Winamp or MixZing). Try an .mp3 file to be sure that it's not a problem with the phone though.

5. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    The Google "Music" app is designed to use the cloud. Go to the "Music" web page on whatever computer you ripped the songs on. It will discover your music collection and and you can have it automatically background upload all the songs. On the phone, you can "pin" them so it puts them on the phone and they're always available for offline listening.

You could just get an iPhone -- of course, you'll have to use iTunes and do it Apple's way.

If you're determined not to do the above, I recommend DoubleTwist. It's pretty trouble free.

6. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    By the way, what method did you use to "sync" a couple of albums to the phone?

7. TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    +1

8. mdroid20

mdroid20 Newbie
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    I ran into the same issue, and unlike Jay3's holier-than-thou attitude about cloud vs local storage, there is actually still a use for local storage. While I agree the cloud is part of the future, it is not replacing local documents/storage (especially in certain industries that would not trust having things on the cloud). Anyways, I digress. I do have a use for music on the local storage and a lot of my music was WMA and Google music would not read it (not sure why, but it wouldn’t). I downloaded Poweramp and have been quite happy. I would recommend that application if you haven’t found a solution already. Good luck.

9. darb

darb Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Houston, TX
    WMP has the ability to rip to mp3, not just wma. You can change it in the options of WMP on the Rip tab. Perhaps try using that format instead.

[​IMG]

10. jraskell

jraskell Member
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Wma is a Microsoft proprietary format. Google has always only supported open formats. I am quiet sure you have never played wma files on an android device without using third party software.

11. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    WMA is window media audio, its audio compression for window and android is in Linux platform.
    other phones came with manufacturer's interface music players that can support WMA audio files (like touchwiz, blur)
    so you need music player that support wma files like power amp, player pro, tunewiki etc...

12. TheSuperman

TheSuperman Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    I use PowerAmp as my app for music and MediaMonkey as my media manager that will sync with the phone. Lot's of options to play with.

13. kylecummins

kylecummins Android Expert
    None

Dec 11, 2011
    Union Member
    Canada
    Download an app

Ubermusic, winamp, etc

14. Mr. Poppalopolis

None

Jun 17, 2010
    Akron, OH
    Foobar2000 user here. Just rip everything to mp3 or mp4 and throw it on a folder in /sdcard/. I just make a playlist of the music I want to copy and you can copy the files in full directory structure directly to the phone from foobar2k.

Tags: