• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not receiving calls/texts until I restart the phone myself.

alc485

Lurker
Dec 17, 2012
Today, it seemed my Galaxy S3 wasn't receiving any calls/texts for quite some time. I only realized this when I tried to send the same text a few times and it just wouldn't send. My first thought was to restart the device and after doing so, I saw a voicemail and a few texts I had missed. What would be causing this? Not very convenient when you're expecting something important to come through!

Wish I had the answer. Mine started doing this also in the past couple weeks. I never know the fone can't be reached until a family member emails me and I see it in the computer. I reboot the fone and voila, texts flood in.

My fone is not rooted and haven't added any apps except the snowfall Xmas live wallpaper.

I purchased my Sprint S3 on black Friday and have had the same problem as others here. A restart gets it working again, but it's really irritating to my wife and others trying to call or text me. Email still works though. I don't know it's not working until she asks me why I don't answer her calls or texts. This is happening frequently enough (several times a week) since I bought it. I love everything else about the phone. Sounds like the radio is stopping much like the Original Epic and if I remember correctly the Moment too until they supplied an maintenance release to fix it. There's absolutely no indication anything is amiss.

My phone updated to JB almost immediately after activation, so I don't know if that's the problem.

Upvote 0
Was happening to my first S3 which I upgraded 2 months back.

After the problem (going to voicemail - SOMETIMES not ALWAYS) I replaced (Costco) for new one.
New one having the same problem ! :(
Today I replaced SIM card also - no luck !

I am feeing bad about going to Costco again but I have only 2 weeks until Costco 3 month warranty period - so have to go again.

I am testing from my home phone to mobile. I am leaving voicemails for testing - that too are received very late.
The phone doesn't directly go into voicemail, but only after the ring (ofcourse no ring on S3).

Mobile network type - when incoming went to voicemail - LTE:14
Mobile network type - when incoming worked - HPSA:11
(Edit - Above might not be accurate information - Tried to call on S3 when it was showing LTE:14 & received the call)

Upvote 0
Happening daily now and I have had enough. Warranty replacement on the way. Just hope this phone lasts until the new one gets here. Happened twice today so far!

I had my phone for about 2 months with no problems. Then it started not receiving calls. I have factory reset the phone, had sprint tell me many settings to change, codes to enter, etc... None of that solved the problem. I am on my third device, so that won't help. The past week, I turned off 4G LTE, and have the phone just on 3G. Haven't had a problem since. I do not want a 4G phone that I have to use only 3G on, but for now, I at least receive calls.

Upvote 0
I had my phone for about 2 months with no problems. Then it started not receiving calls. I have factory reset the phone, had sprint tell me many settings to change, codes to enter, etc... None of that solved the problem. I am on my third device, so that won't help. The past week, I turned off 4G LTE, and have the phone just on 3G. Haven't had a problem since. I do not want a 4G phone that I have to use only 3G on, but for now, I at least receive calls.

You are correct! Had the replacement fone for less than two days and symptoms started happening again!! :mad: I experimented with removing apps/widgets all with same end result. This morning I did a factory reset from recovery mode and did not restore a single app, so the phone is 100% oem but I don't have high hopes of that solving the issue either. I don't know what I am going to do. I wonder if they would let me switch to a different brand phone? A guy on XDA claims AT&T is aware of this and it is a programming error and only effects the S3 but no proof other than a conversation with someone at AT&T. He further claims he was told that rooting and a rom will also solve it but I am afraid to do that in case it failes and I have to go back to AT&T for help. I have heard stories of loosing the IMEI number during rooting also tripping the flash counter and may just need my warranty.

Forgot... You mention goikng down to 3g. Most of the time, I have all my radio's (GPS, WIFI, DATA) off and only use them on demand. I wish the answer was as simple as going to 3G.

Are you running Jelly Bean?

Upvote 0
You are correct! Had the replacement fone for less than two days and symptoms started happening again!! :mad: I experimented with removing apps/widgets all with same end result. This morning I did a factory reset from recovery mode and did not restore a single app, so the phone is 100% oem but I don't have high hopes of that solving the issue either. I don't know what I am going to do. I wonder if they would let me switch to a different brand phone? A guy on XDA claims AT&T is aware of this and it is a programming error and only effects the S3 but no proof other than a conversation with someone at AT&T. He further claims he was told that rooting and a rom will also solve it but I am afraid to do that in case it failes and I have to go back to AT&T for help. I have heard stories of loosing the IMEI number during rooting also tripping the flash counter and may just need my warranty.

Forgot... You mention goikng down to 3g. Most of the time, I have all my radio's (GPS, WIFI, DATA) off and only use them on demand. I wish the answer was as simple as going to 3G.

Since my factory reset last Saturday, I haven't had any more problems Even after reinstalling all the same apps the sprint guy said was causing the problem.

Upvote 0
Ok long phone call with AT&T yesterday afternoon after yet another failure. At first, the guy wanted to put me through the usual diagnostic hoops but I stopped him and told him to just listen to what's been done and what the symptoms are. After a while he stopped me and said he knew exactly what the issue is and will fix it for me right now! Now I do not know what all the terms he threw at me mean but I will list them here for reference. I told him that the phone was reset yesterday morning and zero apps were installed so it had to be a network issue or something wrong with my account. He told me there were "routing number mismatches" and my "LRN" was incorrect. Also said they had me on the wrong network and moved me to the Cingular wireless network. Don't know where I was previously. He also mentioned that the SOA was updated with LRN to the proper SPID. I was told the changes could happen immediately but for sure within 24 hours. No failure yet but this phone has fooled me before and gone for a couple days without failing.

One thing I didn't think was related is that I talk with my wife a lot during her long work commutes and we are constantly loosing the ability to hear one another. There are periods of silence then it pops back in. This literally happens in every call we have and we attributed it to either a tower issue or her car's Bluetooth etc but since the tech made these changes, not one call issue in the three conversations we have had. Also it seems that text messages are received and send instantly unlike they used to sit for a bit before going. Hmmmm.

I hope I do not have to post in the next couple days that the phone has failed again, it is really getting to me.

Upvote 0

Yes, running Jelly bean. It also happened again even on 3G. Just called them again, and now have a Evo 4G LTE on the way. Three GS3's on sprint, and I see many people on AT&T as well. It's got to be something with the phone.

Upvote 0
Yes, running Jelly bean. It also happened again even on 3G. Just called them again, and now have a Evo 4G LTE on the way. Three GS3's on sprint, and I see many people on AT&T as well. It's got to be something with the phone.

I hadn't had a problem since doing a factory reset a while ago. I called customer service today regarding my second trashed sd card and mentioned my missed calls and texts problem. The tech had me look at mobile network settings and told me since I didn't live in an area with LTE capability, I should select CDMA, not the default LTE/CDMA setting I had all along. I now have a new s3 on the way.

Upvote 0
I hadn't had a problem since doing a factory reset a while ago. I called customer service today regarding my second trashed sd card and mentioned my missed calls and texts problem. The tech had me look at mobile network settings and told me since I didn't live in an area with LTE capability, I should select CDMA, not the default LTE/CDMA setting I had all along. I now have a new s3 on the way.
Well I received my Evo LTE today, and about six hours later, had the exact same problem. Now I really don't know what to do. I am in an area that has excellent LTE coverage. I have tried the phone with LTE on and just on CDMA. I get the same results no matter what. The odd thing was that the first month and a half I had the phone, it worked great. Now, every phone I get (3 GS3's and one EVO LTE) do not work.

Upvote 0
Well I received my Evo LTE today, and about six hours later, had the exact same problem. Now I really don't know what to do. I am in an area that has excellent LTE coverage. I have tried the phone with LTE on and just on CDMA. I get the same results no matter what. The odd thing was that the first month and a half I had the phone, it worked great. Now, every phone I get (3 GS3's and one EVO LTE) do not work.

I had the same experience. The phone worked perfectly for a couple months then the issues developed. This led me to believe that it might be a rogue app causing the problem so after a factory reset with zero apps brought back, the problems were still there.

This issue is being discussed on several forums and one interesting thread on AT&T's own support forums.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issu... - AT&T Community Support

Upvote 0
I'm on WIND Mobile and still experience this issue with their HSPA+ network... Oh course they don't want to take ownership of the issue.. Blames the phone.. The strange part is, why is it flawless with some people and others don't work? Is it safe to conclude that this is a phone issue or a network issue?
I have had the same experience with my s3 and my old iPhone 4 so I would say it's a network problem

Upvote 0
I had almost convinced myself that the phone was ok. It went for three days without an issue until yesterday afternoon when a family member emailed and told me my phone was not reachable again!

Called AT&T support again today and explained all that has transpired so far but insisted she escalate this to a higher level of support. She (as all the other techs I and others have spoken to) had never heard of such an issue but did agree to escalate this after reading the notes and hearing from me. She promised she would call me back in ten minutes after she wrote up the case for referral but emailed me instead. The brief email just stated that the case team would contact me, gave a case ID number and a resolution date of 2/13.

Family or work can't reach me, running out of patience and options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones