• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not showing blocking mode icon outside of blocking window

boardtc

Apr 7, 2010
I have started using blocking mode for stopping night time alerts.

I would like if there was an option to only show the blocking mode icon in the notification area when blocking mode is on, i.e. when the blocking mode window is active. I don't think this is such an option.

Is there anywhere to suggest/vote on features for android?

its a samsung feature, rather than android in general. They're the people you need to convince.

For me, knowing the times 23:00 - 06:00 are enough for me, and that in the notification toggle area, I can see its on. I dont need an ongoing notification or a persistent notification.

I decompiled my settings.apk to get rid of this permanently. You can only do this if rooted though.

Upvote 0
I have started using blocking mode for stopping night time alerts.

I would like if there was an option to only show the blocking mode icon in the notification area when blocking mode is on, i.e. when the blocking mode window is active. I don't think this is such an option.

Is there anywhere to suggest/vote on features for android?

Is your phone a Verizon phone or another carrier and is your phone rooted? If Verizon phone have you actually tested to see if the blocking is functioning. I have a Verizon S3 and it does not function

Upvote 0
No, there isn't, for a good reason. If an app is running without a notification, the OS can kill it when it needs more memory. And if it kills the blocking app, then it won't start blocking when you want it to.

This is the case with actual apps.. Actual apps may need a persistent notification to keep running. However blocking mode is not actually an app. the app that blocking mode is part of is "settings.apk" so this doesn't really act the same.

I can confirm by removing the notification, blocking mode remains active. Afterall, its simply a setting, such as setting a wallpaper. There's no persistant wallpaper icon, but android doesn't kill my wallpaper.

Upvote 0
i am sorry meyerweb but you are mistaken there is a patch that will remove only the blocking mode icon while leaving the actual blocking mode running. You would need to flash the patch in CWM.

edit:-

link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1943987

Not really a patch. This is just an updated settings.apk which will only work on the build number it was intended for.

The OP actually just followed this guide every time (which is what i do) and this really should be universal for all S3's

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1939943

Upvote 0
Not really a patch. This is just an updated settings.apk which will only work on the build number it was intended for.

The OP actually just followed this guide every time (which is what i do) and this really should be universal for all S3's

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1939943

Thanks for the info. I have a routed S3 but it's too much of a project for me to get rid of I have to say. So it's either not use it or suck it up until they change it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones