1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Not sure I'm Happy I Upgraded to the Evo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by botomgun, Feb 7, 2011.

1. botomgun

botomgun Newbie

So I walked in to the Shack to pick up an Otter Box for my Hero. After they offered to buy my phone in conjunction with my upgrade, I wallked out with the Evo (and its giant Otter Box). The next day I had it rooted and running how I wanted it. Although it is fast, I have to say that after 3 weeks, I am not sure I am as happy with it as I thought I was going to be.

4G is nice (if available), the Hot Spot is great (it rocks, actually), and there are a few games that are nice to play that are not usable on the Hero.

One of the reasons I picked up the Evo was the front facing camera. I thought it would be great with Skype. Nope. Skype video is not supported. Why would there be a Skype app to make internet calls from a cell phone? I guess it does work on one of those other phones.

You Tube worked better on my Hero. Not that I spend a lot of time on it, but it should work better.

It's big. I thought I would get used to that, but I haven't. Yes, the size is great for some applications (GPS, Web) but it is like carrying book. It doesn't fit well in any pocket and the belt clip is too big as well.

For the most part, I have the same apps on the Evo that I had on my Hero. The screen now looks the same, as well. Maybe I just miss my too small, underpowered Hero. I still have a week to think about it, but I am seriously thinking about taking the Evo back and just getting another Hero.

Anybody else have similar remorse?

2. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Nope, like them both:)

3. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

I am also happy that I upgraded to the EVO.

4. Firehawk

Firehawk Member

+1 I upgraded on 1/29/11 from hero to evo and I couldn't be happier.

5. DaWeav

DaWeav Android Enthusiast

Sprint does have the (OVERPRICED) Evo Shift which is almost the same size as the Hero, but with a larger 3.6 screen compared to the Hero 3.2, and has a keyboard if you like that sort of thing. The processor is the second generation with twice as much video power as the original Evo processor, but @200MHz slower. I have not seen anyone overclocking the Shift yet.

Maybe this HTC comparison site will help.

Sprint HTC Evo Shift
    4.61 (L) x 2.32 (W) x .59 (T) inches

Sprint HTC Hero
    4.5 (L) x 2.22 (W) x .54 (T)

Also, I must say that Sprint's newly announced dual screen kawa-whatever is a JOKE! And, if the Evo doesn't come down in price compared to AT&T's HTC Inspire @$99 and Verizon's upcoming HTC Thunderbolt @$249 (both sporting the SECOND GENERATION SNAPDRAGON), I'm thinking of just giving up on Sprint's LAME handset lineup since I'll now be stuck with it for 2 whole years! So, maybe I'll just pay the $80 termination fee and go to AT&T for the $99 Inspire. That would only be a total of $180 which is less than the overpriced $199 soooo last year's model Evo.

_____

Plus, now that Sprint's $69.99 is really $79.99 with the value added $10 tax for a smartphone, that's $80 compared to AT&T's $39.99 voice, plus $20 unlimited text, plus $25 2gig data at $85 per month. So, $80 vs $85 isn't a real big deal. Sure, it's not unlimited data, but I've never even came close to 1gig of data on my Hero.

6. srkmagnus

srkmagnus Well-Known Member

Isn't Skype supported by Fringe? If so, could you video chat that way?

7. botomgun

botomgun Newbie

+1 Looks like a DS with a phone!

The Evo is growing on me more every day. I guess that post was nothing more than my internal debate posted online. I was pretty thankful last night when I needed internet access for my laptop. I just turned on HotSpot and linked right up! I'll get used to the size and feel. I think that is the real hard spot for me.

If I wait a few more days, then it won't mater!

8. flailer

flailer Member

i'm glad i upgraded from Hero to the Evo.

You're right, i believe the people at Skype must be morons.

I loaded, of the market, Yahoo IM, and the advance IM too, and it is great. I can text, voice, and video chat with my daughter in South America -- using the front facing camera .

And it's BETTER than Skype, and Fring, imo.
    (no one is on fring)

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews