• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not syncing, device not recognised

******** PROBLEM SOLVED *********
Remember to use the correct USB cable to connect! Experience shows that not all Micro USB cables are equal...
******** PROBLEM SOLVED *********

Hi there,

Besides from being incredibly happy with most features of my Desire, I am increasingly unhappy with the syncing problems I have.

The problem;
When I connect my Desire with a USB cable, the PC says "Device not recognised", and the phone keeps searching for a while untill it says it cannot find HTC Sync. No contact is possible, also not as diskdrive.

What I have tried to solve this;
Downloaded latest version of HTC Sync, gave it a fresh install (firewall and internet connection turned off), rebooted PC, rebooted phone, but to no avail.

Also I checked the USB ports in Device manager, and at one port (the one with the Desire connected), it says "unknown device". It looks like no drivers are installed.

I also tried copying the drivers manually to the win32 directory, but this did not help.

All this I repeated several times, browsed the web for hours and hours, made a handfull of calls to the friendly people at HTC, but neither of these solved the issue.

To complicate matters; the first couple of days Syncing just worked fine, the two weeks after that not anymore. On some occasions, after a complete new installation-session, the device connected once, but not anymore after that.

Since the calendar has become the center pillar of my existence, I am on the verge of becoming hugely frustrated. Hoping the truth is out there, and somebody of you guys knows about it...

Help...?

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks for trying to help, but this is old news to me. I read both these threads before posting my question.

In both threads people seem to have found workarounds that work for them; unfortunately these don't work for me, so therefore the new thread.

Some more info: I am on XP and tried uninstalling activesync (which I use for my other phone) after advice from HTC. Activesync sometimes conflicts with HTCSync. In my case this did not change the situation.

Frustrating that something as simple as hooking the Desire up to a PC is turning into such a struggle, especcially for a device that blows me away in almost every other aspect...

So...

Any help anybody?

Upvote 0
Ok. So if you set your phone as mount as disk drive, and have device manager up and running, then plug in the usb - do you see no activity in DM? If that is the case it has be be either drivers or a conflict in my mind.

My DM shows the following when the usb is in:
Android usb devices
My HTC - properies show driver as HTC 10/6/2009 ver 2.0.7.1

Upvote 0
Actually... this is starting to become interesting; I am suspecting XP of messing things up.

First, an hour ago, while awaking my PC from hibernation, there was a strange lockup. Restarted it, and eventually everything was up and running again.

Then I tried plugging in the Desire in Diskdrive-mode as you suggested. At this point in time I already had my "normal" external HD plugged in as well. Surprisingly enough XP told me there was an Android Phone connected (Yeeeeeahhh!!!), and device manager blinked a few times to show two new additions;
- an unknown USB apparatus (the second one of its kind)
- a USB composite device (also the second one)

At this point in time the music playing from the external HD stopped abruptly.

All devices mentioned (assuming 2 devices belong to the HD, and two to the Android) have the same mentioning in the drivers panel: some kind of microsoft driver from 2001.

Since I could not distinguish which one was the phone and which one was the HD, I disconnected the phone and plugged it back in. And then... we are back to square one: "device not recognised..."

So... still no clue how to fix it, but something seems wrong with the drivers. Further advice is welcome...

Upvote 0
I also had some problems with my htc desire, and the solution for me turned out to be quite simple.

There was no Letter designation for my HTC Desire so XP couldnt find it. What I had to do was go into Computer Management - disk management find the 4 gb 'drive' and select 'change drive letter and paths' to assign a Letter.

This might not be the solution for you, but worth looking into.

I got this problem cause all Letters from F to Z were taken when HTC was first connected. (I know, I have too many drives :) )

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I am facing the same issue as the originator of this thread, but after i upgraded my phone to GB available on HTC developer site link. It was all working fine without any problem for around 10 days after upgrading. But today it stopped recognizing the device, i tried on many laptops but same problem.

I am posting in this forum to get help from experts here....

Thanks in advance!!!!
Vijendra

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones