1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

<~ Not Tech Savvy, But Trying To Root Anyway (Problems)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by josh99ta, Apr 14, 2011.

1. josh99ta

josh99ta Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    The title says it all. I've searched the forums but a lot of the talk is over my head, and I can't seem to find any answers to my particular problems.

I'm trying to root my OG Moto Droid. I downloaded the Z4Root .apk file, put it on my phone, and used ASTRO to install it. Rebooted the phone before running Z4Root and then ran it. It does it's thing for a while then just goes to my app screen. The Superuser app isn't there, and my phone doesn't work (keeps telling me Activity Launcher has a problem and prompts me to force close, have to do a battery pull to reboot the phone and get it working again).

I'm trying to root it for occasional hotspot access and I wouldn't mind overclocking it a bit just to see how it does. I've always been a bit disappointed in the responsiveness of the phone compared to friends' iPhones or newer Droid models, and I'm just trying to tide myself over for a bit until the next big android phone gets released that fits what I'm looking for (whether that be the Moto Bionic or something else).

Thanks for any super simple idiot-proof help. It is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. josh99ta

josh99ta Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Forgot to add the specifics.

OG Motorola Droid
    Android 2.2.2
    Kernel 2.6.32.9-g68eeef5
    Build # FRG83G

If there are any other specifics you guys need just let me know and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks.

3. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere

Welcome to the forums,

Z4Root doesn't work on the Droid 1. You would have to use something like Super One Click or Soup for Root if you wanted to use a script based root solution.

Most all of your questions can be answered in the below link. It is hard to post step by step instructions on how to root your phone because there are a number of ways to do it and most of the ways are listed in the Droid-All Thing Root section of the forum (link below). I would especially look at the "Sticky" which is the first post on the list.

I hope this helps some what and If you have any questions about a particular method post in that link and I can assure you there will be a response to help you.:)

Droid - All Things Root - Android Forums

4. josh99ta

josh99ta Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    I tried SuperOneClick and still no luck. It just keeps hanging up on my computer (program not responding during the "waiting for device" part of the install). I've tried everything. Posted in the XDA forums hoping for an answer but hopefully someone here will have an answer too.

5. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    Is your phone's USB Debugging enabled. If not you can't root your phone like that. Something to look at.