1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Not that impressed - help me love Android!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bails, Mar 3, 2011.

1. bails

bails Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    I've got a Desire (on 2.2)
    I want to love it, I really do, but there's a couple of problems....

1. Random, frequent resets. Sometimes it'll be when I'm doing something taxing' like flicking between emails and internet windows, or between twitter/plume and the links the tweets contain. Or switching between games and videos. Or anything really.

But sometimes (like just now) the phone will be sitting there, doing sweet FA and all of a sudden the htc white screen will appear and the phone will take 30 seconds to reset itself. The browser also regularly crashes. As does Firefox, and Swype.

Why?!:thinking:

2. Low memory on phone. I don't think I've got a stupid amount of apps, and everything that can be moved onto the SD card has been. But still, I'm regularly getting the low storage message, down to below 15mb of space. I can temporarily increase this by a bit by clearing all the caches, but it comes back soon enough.

Why?! :thinking:

3. The battery....I suspect this is one that I'll just have to accept seeing as it's a smartphone and does a lot more, with a bigger screen, than my old phone did. But any tips on getting more than 18 hours battery would be appreciated. Screen is on 'auto'. (it's unreadable outside if I set it low manually), data is off when not needed, it only autosyncs once an hour, wifi is off all day when I'm at work, GPS only comes on when I'm using an app that needs it (rare). But it's still rubbish....

Why?! :thinking:....again.

Advertisement

2. Nozspark

Nozspark Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Self employed electrician
    North Wales Coast (UK)
    I've got a Desire and I've never had the rebooting problem.. it's probably something to do with an app that you have installed,, do you have a task killer?? if so uninstall it

I too found that I was getting the low storage message.. in the end I rooted and installed Ginger Villian with AP2SD+ .. I have a 1Gb ext partition for apps and don't get it anymore..

Battery is always an issue with any smartphone... I've got all my e-mails set as IMAP (push) and all synching turned to manual, I also use Timeriffic and have WiFi set to be off when I'm out of the house.. GPS is set to off and I turn it on manually when needed.... given all that I tend to get at least 18 hours which is good enough as I charge overnight and have a car charger for when I'm using Navigation

3. Lord Doom

Lord Doom Member
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    Student
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Sounds faulty to me if it's resetting itself all the time. My android has been totally rock solid. In all the time i've owned this Desire, I havn't experienced even ONE crash, and i'm a very heavy user.

Don't take my word for it though. I'd wait until someone more experienced can reply.

4. widehead

widehead Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    Educator
    I agree with Lord Doom (wow, that sounds like something a comic book super villain might say) and concur that a fault somewhere seems the likely culprit.

Get a new handset, try again and let the Android love commence!

5. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    The first issue sounds like a faulty handset

The second issue on space is the biggest weakness of the Desire. You really need to root it to get a proper and permanent solution

Bettery is no better or worse than any smartphone. Get used to charging it every night. Some custom roms can help through undervolting and underclocking when the screen is off but it only has a minor effect. By the way I find auto brightness way too high. I set it to around 30% unless I'm in bright sunlight - the screen is one of the biggest battery drainers

6. DC@KIll

DC@KIll Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2010

I felt the same way for a little while dude especially with your point 2, I still think it's really stupid how low the internal space is! However I just got round to delve into the rooting business, after getting myself a Class 6 16gb SD card! Only managed to root so far, hopefully next stage is to install a ROM with that apps2sd+...

1. That's definitely not a general issue, something specific to you is happening IMO.

3.Yeah the battery issue can be annoying, but that's usual for these new do-all smartphones. Just try to disable the wifi/mobile internet/gps etc when you're not using them...

Wow that wifi timer is pretty awesome!

7. monsm

monsm Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    London
    Have you tried to upgrade the phone software (from settings-about I think)? It helped me with a little email hangup I had.

The 1.2 version of facebook that came with my phone was also not very good, so found an upgrade on Android market. Everything fine here now.

Also put the power manager widget on one of the screens. I find that useful, to remind me to switch off e.g. gps and bluetooth when I don't use them. So helps the battery.

Hope it works out.

Mons

Tags: