• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root not that there is any thing wrong

beastinbolts

Android Expert
Apr 16, 2011
I hope I don't step in shit here but I am going to format my sdcard. I would like to do the whole thing the full on 100%.
I am copying the contents of my sd card to my pc as I type.. I plan on partitioning my sd card ( which I have no idea what that means or why it should be done but I want to do it). also I am getting tired if random things being placed on my sd card ie "lost.dir", .br..... things that I have no idea what there are and what is tunnybrowser? is that part of dolphin broswer?.....
I delete them but they allways pop back up.. any feed back would be awesome.............Thanks

you crack me up
glad your cracking up

Well I am researching it as we speck...Guess I did not explain my intentions fully.
The reason I want to do this is because in recovery I never back this up or have played around with it but it is an option none the less and I want to know the pros and cons of it.
The only way I have learned any thing in my life is by doing it....
BY the way this forum is part of my research so instead of cracking up how bout a real response

Upvote 0
glad your cracking up

Well I am researching it as we speck...Guess I did not explain my intentions fully.
The reason I want to do this is because in recovery I never back this up or have played around with it but it is an option none the less and I want to know the pros and cons of it.
The only way I have learned any thing in my life is by doing it....
BY the way this forum is part of my research so instead of cracking up how bout a real response

weeeeeeell.....

I use A2SD for storage of apps....I have noticed that some of the newer 2.3 gb roms as well as sense 3.0 roms are huge...so devs are suggesting that you install those roms to the sd card...

pros
more storage beyond the internal storage that came in the phone
movement of cache and dalvik cache to the sd card again..cleaning up internal space ont he phone

cons
your rom and kernel have to be built for use of the ext sd partition. (currently looking into this, I want to know how to enable it)

you need a good speedy sd card otherwise things run less stably

pro and con...I have noticed that when rom swapping/flashing my apps are always there...but just the app. thought the app is retained on the external partition the data for that app is still held internally...this can create issues when jumping from rom to rom and in the end app data has to be restored from titanium otherwise you get a crapload of forcecloses etc.

I do hope that this post provides beneficial information to you. If this post does not please you please pm me tips and suggestions on how to post more useful information in the future. Though it is my goal to provide helpful information to all users, sometimes expectations of those users are not met. If we all work together we can ensure a more productive Android environment for everyone.

Reactions: beastinbolts
Upvote 0
awesome.. thank you for that.. I honed in on the portion of your post about the sd card.. I am currently using my stock sd card as I have not ran in to storage problems.I have thought about upgrading my card though. I was under the impression that doing this process would increase your phones "read speed"

Now I have (bad to the core kings gb 2point3) a 2.3.3 Rom running and I still have ample space on my sd card ( I try to keep only essentials the rest is on my pc) I also have about 5 different roms stored on my sdcard and still have ample space
Side note: you mentioned appstosd I am guessing that the the reasoning behind this is to free up memory on your internal memory?

I am very new to computing as you can tell but the more I read and respond to your post it sounds like partitioning your sd card gives you the option of: using your sd card as a remedy to the small internal memory space available. ie instead of an app saving data to internal memory it saves it to the sdcard.... A HA.. now that makes sense

So I am assuming that partitioning your sd card makes this possible... am I at all on the right track

Upvote 0
awesome.. thank you for that.. I honed in on the portion of your post about the sd card.. I am currently using my stock sd card as I have not ran in to storage problems.I have thought about upgrading my card though. I was under the impression that doing this process would increase your phones "read speed"

Now I have (bad to the core kings gb 2point3) a 2.3.3 Rom running and I still have ample space on my sd card ( I try to keep only essentials the rest is on my pc) I also have about 5 different roms stored on my sdcard and still have ample space
Side note: you mentioned appstosd I am guessing that the the reasoning behind this is to free up memory on your internal memory?

I am very new to computing as you can tell but the more I read and respond to your post it sounds like partitioning your sd card gives you the option of: using your sd card as a remedy to the small internal memory space available. ie instead of an app saving data to internal memory it saves it to the sdcard.... A HA.. now that makes sense

So I am assuming that partitioning your sd card makes this possible... am I at all on the right track

yup...basically I use it to accommodate my crapload of apps that otherwise wouldn't fit on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones