• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not to root new incoming S20 phone

ranjb

Jun 27, 2010
Hi All

Soon to be retiring my trusted rooted Samsung S7 Edge I have had for nearly 30 months for a new S20.

I have been rooting my androids for over 10 years now but am thinking that when it comes to the S20 I no longer wish to root. The reason is the security of the device is pretty high on my agenda and unfortuntely I dont get the time nowadays to keep my phone up to date via the unconventional means.

I have use few rooted apps over the years such as Titanium backup and few apps within Magisk such as the Youtube Vanced (no ADS) and also viper4android.

Before I make this decision can anyone convince me that rooting is still the way to go and I can do it without taking up too much of my time? I can already see there is some rooted builds already available. Is it even more dificult to perform the root process with the newer phones? I assume Knox won't work and other similar apps which rely on a unrooted phone or are there ways around this?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Welcome to Android Foruns @ranjb , nice to have as a new member. V4A and DolbyAtmos on my rooted Samsung. AdAway ad blocker is also a must for me. I myself prefer SuperSu, Xposed Framwork and full r/w system wide access. It hard to give up power of root :)
An S20 on the other had is a powerful chipset and an impressive device. Perhaps if your looking at an upgrade you might want to wait a few more months for the Note 10/Note 20 (2020). At that price rang you could keep your rooted S7 and buy a pretty decent laptop 4k touch 17 inch...... etc. I guess it a matter of what's more important to you.
One thig is it looks Google has tightend down and the developer of Magisk is struggling to keep Magisk hide and pass saftynet pass successful. Google now check for an unlocked bootloader and that the recent update properly uses SafetyNet's key attestation API that remotely verifies a device's security status.
Freaking Google :( If you choose root be willing to give up Google Pay, banking apps, Netflix, pockmon etc. I'd rather watch Netfix on the big screeen tv, use credit cards thhan give up root, but thats just me :)
Good luck..

Last edited:
Reactions: ranjb and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones