• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not using the battery door...

tpXXV

Nov 11, 2011
while using a case like the Incipio Feather in its place. Is this a terrible idea? Obviously the concern would be exposing the internals to dust/particles.

The goal is to be able to use the extended battery, but I like the matte finish of the Incipio or Case Mate Barely There. Neither of those fit ideally with the extended battery door. Not to mention you cut down on thickness/weight if you remove the door.

Thanks in advance.

while using a case like the Incipio Feather in its place. Is this a terrible idea? Obviously the concern would be exposing the internals to dust/particles.

The goal is to be able to use the extended battery, but I like the matte finish of the Incipio or Case Mate Barely There. Neither of those fit ideally with the extended battery door. Not to mention you cut down on thickness/weight if you remove the door.

Thanks in advance.

I think it'd be OK as long as you still covered it with something and as long as knew the risk. What that something is idk, but you'd need to make sure it'll hold the battery firm in case it jostles loose. Tape of some sort, a kind that will leave no residue and able to be removed easily? Painters tape?

Reactions: tpXXV
Upvote 0
I went my last couple of months with my Droid 1 with no battery cover and had no problems.
rain was pouring down one evening and I ran to my car from the grocery store and my Droid flew out of my pants and I grabbed my phone and battery (which fell out) but forgot the cover.
Anyways one nice advantage was it was very easy to do a battery pull for all those times my Droid locked up.

Reactions: tpXXV
Upvote 0
I am not using the battery door with extended battery and otterbox defender case.

I tried it with the extended battery door and it felt like a bit of a tight squeeze. I tried the stock door with the extended battery and it wouldn't close right at all. Without the battery door, the extended battery fits in the otterbox just like the regular battery did with door: that is, a bit loose and the case is easy to put on and off. Even though it feels a little loose in there, I've jostled it around pretty hard and the battery will not disconnect from the phone. The hard case layer has a soft lining that seems like it is as good if not better than the stock door.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones