• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 2 - None of the widgets and refreshing

Nick Will

Lurker
Jan 12, 2013
Hello all,

I have joined this forum as I am at a loss! I love my galaxy note 2 but I dont seem to be able solve this problem. None of the widget's that I have added to my home screen seem to refresh, be they gmail, email, clocks, weather, bbc news and possibly even the live wall paper weather widget! Doing a 'clear memory' makes them work for a bit but then they all seem to just freeze up again. I have tried all of the suggestions I can find in forums and even done a factory reset to see if that cleared the issue, but no luck! Any help would be greatly appreciate! Cheers Nick - London

Hello all,

I have joined this forum as I am at a loss! I love my galaxy note 2 but I dont seem to be able solve this problem. None of the widget's that I have added to my home screen seem to refresh, be they gmail, email, clocks, weather, bbc news and possibly even the live wall paper weather widget! Doing a 'clear memory' makes them work for a bit but then they all seem to just freeze up again. I have tried all of the suggestions I can find in forums and even done a factory reset to see if that cleared the issue, but no luck! Any help would be greatly appreciate! Cheers Nick - London

Have you adjusted the widgets settings making sure that they refresh when you want them to. Some widgets are set to refresh every hour some may be set at no refresh until you open that application, that way the widget isn't sucking up any battery at all

Reactions: saltz and Nick Will
Upvote 0
Hi there, thank you for the advice, but I have looked at both your suggestions before and have set all syncing to happen as regularly as possible to see if im getting anywhere. Its weird, the bbc news widget has keys to scroll from one story to the next and a refresh button. These respond with a 'flicker' when touched, but the the widget's wont up date (similar story with the others - although a clock should update constantly shouldn't it?) One thing I have noticed is that if I touch a button when frozen, then hit clear memory the widget's will update and will have scrolled on to the page that would have displayed when frozen? All a bit frustrating. Should I be going back to 3 Mobile where I bought it do you think?

Upvote 0
Are you using a custom launcher by any chance? I've seen this on Nova Launcher, but I think it was due to Beautiful Widgets (a fancy clock widget app) when it first for overhauled/updated, it somehow affected the launcher and all the other widgets and kept them from updating at all or being responsive to touch, so I had to restart the launcher (which is essentially what you're doing when you clear the memory) to fix them. So maybe it's one of the widgets that you're using? Have any of them had a big update recently or have you been experiencing this since you got the phone?

Reactions: Nick Will
Upvote 0
No I only started getting this problem about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The phone did do some updates (I should have looked more closely to see what it actually was saying - feel like a muppet now). Ill try un installing beautiful widgets and see if that helps. But im a bit ignorant about the launcher side of things? I'll have a look inti it tho! Many thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones