• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 2 will not store media files on SD card

Eilea

Lurker
Dec 23, 2013
Friends, I am reaching the end of frustration . . . . the consideration of making the switch to an apple product level of frustration.

I love my Note II for many reasons. Too bad it doesn't work.

I cannot seem to get it to permanently store anything on the SD card. It may store copied files for a day, two days, or a mere hour before relinquishing them, and then no more. By this I mean that my music player will prompt me that that it is sorry, but the player cannot recognize the file - like a bad break-up speech or something. I half expect a secondary prompt to appear stating "It's not you - it's me". Sometimes it will play the first 2 seconds of a song before skipping on to the next track, sometimes it will sound like a badly damaged CD, and skip the whole way through a song.

With photos, I either get strange color blocking on portions of photos, or a black screen with a white figure and a lightning bolt. I wanted to post a photo of my niece taking her first steps . . . . with the waist down portion conveniently lost forever, for no apparent reason.

I tried; a new SD card, debugging, searching in a root explorer for a .nomedia file, factory reset, SD formatting, and even got a replacement phone when Rogers could not identify the issue . . . the new phone has the exact same problems.

Can anyone think of any other considerations before disassociating my family with Android forever?

Arghh.

Friends, I am reaching the end of frustration . . . . the consideration of making the switch to an apple product level of frustration.

I love my Note II for many reasons. Too bad it doesn't work.

I cannot seem to get it to permanently store anything on the SD card. It may store copied files for a day, two days, or a mere hour before relinquishing them, and then no more. By this I mean that my music player will prompt me that that it is sorry, but the player cannot recognize the file - like a bad break-up speech or something. I half expect a secondary prompt to appear stating "It's not you - it's me". Sometimes it will play the first 2 seconds of a song before skipping on to the next track, sometimes it will sound like a badly damaged CD, and skip the whole way through a song.

With photos, I either get strange color blocking on portions of photos, or a black screen with a white figure and a lightning bolt. I wanted to post a photo of my niece taking her first steps . . . . with the waist down portion conveniently lost forever, for no apparent reason.

I tried; a new SD card, debugging, searching in a root explorer for a .nomedia file, factory reset, SD formatting, and even got a replacement phone when Rogers could not identify the issue . . . the new phone has the exact same problems.

Can anyone think of any other considerations before disassociating my family with Android forever?

Arghh.
That sure is an annoying issue, what brand of SD card are you using and where did you get them from? Are they seated properly in the Phone, ie clicked in. It seems odd that you tried more than one phone and more than one SD card without success.

Upvote 0
The first was a Lexar class 10 64GB, but I did buy it off of Ebay . . . so in thinking it was the issue, I then got a 64GB class 10 Samsung SD card. Samsung phone, Samsung card - what could be more compatible right? I also swapped my husband's working Lexar from his phone, again, no dice.

They do seem to be seated properly, and I am able to mount and unmount them under settings.

Upvote 0
There are 2 known issues that you may be experiencing. I have had the misfortune to be hit by both. 1) known sd card issue with gn2 and sandisk and kingston cards. 2) fake sd cards on amazon.com and ebay.

Only the newest Sandisk and Kingston cards are ok and there is a lot of old inventory out there. On the plus side, both companies will either refund your money or issue a replacement. I am also convinced that any 64 Gb sd card under $30 is a fake (DOH!).
Don't go to the dark side!

Upvote 0
Take a quick look at the amazon.com reviews of sd cards. They make fakes of all types. I am actually considering using a brick & mortar store like Best Buy for my next SD card purchases after going through three bad SD cards from Amazon (sandisk, kingston, adata). To be safe I think you have to pay about $50 for a 64 Gb class 10 SD card.

Upvote 0
and most women are considerably less appealing bald . . .
Oooooh mental picture@)
When all the talk was going on about the fake SD cards in circulation, mainly Samsung and Sandisk, I bought a 32gb class 10 by PNY, I've used them before and had zero issues. Apart from an SD card malfunction, I'm not sure what your issue could be.

Upvote 0
There are 2 known issues that you may be experiencing. I have had the misfortune to be hit by both. 1) known sd card issue with gn2 and sandisk and kingston cards. 2) fake sd cards on amazon.com and ebay.

Only the newest Sandisk and Kingston cards are ok and there is a lot of old inventory out there. On the plus side, both companies will either refund your money or issue a replacement. I am also convinced that any 64 Gb sd card under $30 is a fake (DOH!).
Don't go to the dark side!

What about Lexar? I just found an excellent boxing week sale I would like to take advantage of . . .

Upvote 0
I think your first issue is the size of the SD card, I would try an 8 GB or 16 GB first as a test to see if it holds the files, then you can go to a 32 GB if it holds. I would also stay away from HE cards as they cause issues sometimes from what I have read. So if you have another SD card laying around, or can borrow one with less capacity I would try that first. Report back.

Upvote 0
I have learned the hard way not to go for the bargain basement deals on critical storage components. I now gladly sacrifice the price of a large 2 topping pizza to make sure I have a top shelf SD card ; ) I have used Sandisk 512Mb (LOL), 16Gb and 32Gb SD cards on my older samsung android phones without issue. I am on a Sandisk replacement 64Gb SD card that has been supposedly updated to handle a sequential write issue for android 4.1.2+ for SGN2's. I have over 32 Gb of music, data , and pics on my SD card so I can no longer use the smaller cards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones