1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Note 3 and KNOX Malfunction?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ccstriker3, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ccstriker3

ccstriker3 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Male
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Hello everybody, so today I decided maybe it would be a good idea to install KNOX on my Note 3, mostly because it said something about an app getting into something where it shouldn't. I wanted to see maybe which app. So anyways I installed it and everything and created an account. Next thing I know it takes me to KNOX mode, and the I decided I did not like this. So I tried to go back to my normal touchwiz launcher using the "Tap to exit" button on the notification bar. It took me to a black screen and I could not do anything. So I restarted my phone and the same thing happened again. After many attempts to fix it, I finally got my Twisted Home Manager app to work through google now (with no launcher) and changed back to Touchwiz. Now everything is fine and Knox works correctly. So does anybody think I should just delete it? Will Knox really help me with anything, or is just more Samsung Bloatware?

Advertisement

2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    Welcome to AF and the Note 3 forums, ccstriker3! :)

I am sure that Knox is something wonderful for some people, but I haven't had any use for it. :( I haven't really heard of anyone, personally, who does.

It sounds like you have had painful experience with it so far. If you can't make it work to your advantage, by all means, uninstall what you can and don't worry about it. :)

Glad to have you with us!

3. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    It's too bad you didn't find this forum before you installed it. Knox is pretty much despises in all of it's forms around here.

Dump it if you can and hope there aren't any artifacts that give you any issues...

4. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2012
    I must be the only who likes it then :)

As many people i have setup my corporate Exchange account, which requires certain Lockscreen security I don't care about. I need to read emails but don't want them to dictate what I do with my personal phone I have paid for myself.

Plus if you do connect to a corporate server with active sync, your Exchange Administrator can not just lock your phone but wipe it too.

Knox doesn't affect your main phone. It is like a virtual machine with Android environment sandboxed and separate from your main system. So your phone doesn't have to be password / pin protected as Knox is and if the admin decides to wipe your phone - he wipes Knox and not your main system ...

So it does have advantages. And I personally stopped caring about rooting etc., always went back to stock - too many drawbacks in the long run.

dustwun77 likes this.
  5. ccstriker3

ccstriker3 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Male
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the fast feedback! I ended up uninstalling because KNOX really didn't give me anything of value. It kind of bugs me that it makes rooting the note 3 much harder, and I don't feel like doing anything to mess up my phone. Not to mention the frustration it gave me in the first place.

dustwun77 likes this.
  6. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    Nah, doesn't make rooting harder, it just trips the Knox flag, blows an efuse and possibly voids your warranty. Also it means you can't go back to an earlier firmware than what you rooted from. All "good fun".

Also while you can uninstall certain features of Knox, you cannot unistall it per se. You''l still blow an efuse and trip the Knox flag by rooting and installing a custom recovery.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.