1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Note 3 capacitive buttons "brownish" or white?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jsulmeyer, Jan 22, 2014.

?

What color are the capacitive buttons on your Galaxy Note 3?

1. Capacitive buttons are bright white (same shade as whites on the screen)

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Capacitive buttons are "brownish"

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. jsulmeyer

jsulmeyer Lurker

I recently bought a Note 3 and it had two issues - first, a very loose home button and, second, the plastic "chrome" was kind was warped along the top. I received a replacement from AT&T and while neither issue was completely addressed, the new device was a slight improvement. However, I noticed that the capacitive buttons, when lit, were almost "brownish" compared to those on the original device, which were the same shade of white as the whites on the main screen.

Assuming this was a defect, I ordered a third device and, low and behold, this one has brownish capacitive buttons as well. It probably wouldn't bug me so much is all of the Note 3's were like this, but when compared to my original device (and many others I've seen in stores) it bugs me to no end that the lights are brownish/yellowish compared to the reset of the screen.

Since I'm a new user, I'm not allowed to post a picture comparing my original device and one of the replacement devices, but I would be happy to email the picture to anyone who is interested. It doesn't convey the actual difference as much as I'd like, but it's pretty obvious, nonetheless.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

John

I'm gonna try to post a poll for people to say if their buttons are either as white as the whites on the screen or brownish by comparison. Hopefully it will work...

EDIT: Looks like I can post the picture now. Check it out - the difference is more apparent in person, but you can still see that the device on the left as white buttons and the one on the right has brownish ones...

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Note3owner

Note3owner Well-Known Member

3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

White as snow.

4. picord

picord Well-Known Member

X2

5. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member

Kind of brown, and if you look closely it even looks like there's flecks under the buttons, as in the back light isn't consistent. Unfortunately I have a habit of noticing these things without trying.
    FYI - I've seen that on an S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3 in two countries

6. quiksilver169

quiksilver169 Well-Known Member

Exactly how mine look. A bit faded and inconsistent lighting. Really annoyed me at first, but I eventually just gave up.

7. jsulmeyer

jsulmeyer Lurker

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The flecks really bug me - especially when it makes the shape of the image (menu or back button) look deformed. Much prefer the type of backlit buttons on the Nexus 5 and similar devices. For the price of one of these things, you'd think they'd do a better job. Same with the plastic fake chrome around the device - two of the devices I've tried had a wobbly/warped edge along the top and it just looks so incredibly cheap. With my luck I'll give in and keep one of the phones with both of these issues and be locked in for two years, only to have the Note 4 come out with Nexus 5-like capacitive buttons and a metal chrome trim.

Check out the attached image - the difference is more apparent in person, but you can still see that the device on the left as white buttons and the one on the right has brownish ones...

Attached Files:

8. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member

Now you've hit the nail on the head. I really hate the fake chrome finish. I've had a case on my Note 3 since 10 minutes after taking it out of the box (literally), and yet I have a scratch across the top.
    I wish they'd realise that these things look great for the first month then crap for the remaining 23 months you've got the phone (ok, I'm exaggerating but you get the point lol)

9. Note3owner

My buttons are brown yes but consistant not flaky

10. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Mine are white- your post is the 1st time I ever heard of this.

I wonder if it's carrier or color of the phone specific.

11. Note3owner

I don't mind. In fact I think it looks better in Brown :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews