• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 3 extended battery

LOL, seems to be some serious reading comprehension fail in this thread. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but, the OP is asking for something that isn't physically possible.

You're not gonna fit 5000 mah worth of battery into the same space as the stock battery.

It's one or the other, slim or a thicker profile w/added life.

Just thought I'd post since I've actually used both.

I'll check w/you 1st next time B.B., wouldn't want you to have your rolled-up eyes get stuck that way on my account.....

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
Perhaps, but, the OP is asking for something that isn't physically possible.

You're not gonna fit 5000 mah worth of battery into the same space as the stock battery.

It's one or the other, slim or a thicker profile w/added life.

Just thought I'd post since I've actually used both.

There are already 4200mah stock size Note 3 batteries for sale on Amazon and eBay, so it's probably unwise to declare that a 5000mah version is impossible. Technology improves, no surprise there.

I'll check w/you 1st next time B.B., wouldn't want you to have your rolled-up eyes get stuck that way on my account.....

Heh, ok!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies

I guess I'll just wait a few months until there's more alternatives.

but my note 3 battery does seem to last less then my note 2 :/

Well the Note 3 does have more features which is probably impacting the battery some. I know for me I leave every feature that the phone has on. I have the Zerolemon extended so I don't have to worry about battery life anymore, but before that I carried around an extra battery and that was sufficient for awhile.

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell Samsung is using batteries that are close to their claimed capacity. There probably could be batteries made with higher capacity, but they will cost quite a bit more than even the OEM one. There is no way to get a battery with higher capacity for less money. Well, slave labor, skimping on packaging, overcharge protection circuits, craptastic build quality overall could do it. Look at even AA batteries from say Energizer and compare them to Powerex (MAHA). The Powerex will cost about 25-50% more but you will get pretty damn close to their rated capacity. The Energizers till will be at their rated capacity, but they are just lower. The off brands you can get for the same or even less claiming to be 2700 mAh are full of crap. None so far tested have actually been even close to that. Some are even under 2000.
Battery technology just isn't there yet.

Upvote 0
I just looked at the batteries on the Powerex website. All I saw were NiMH batteries. I thought NiMH was now just a technology one generation behind Lithium-ion batteries, and you wouldn't want to bother with NiMH batteries anymore, if you could find Lithium-ion instead? No?

As far as I can tell Samsung is using batteries that are close to their claimed capacity. There probably could be batteries made with higher capacity, but they will cost quite a bit more than even the OEM one. There is no way to get a battery with higher capacity for less money. Well, slave labor, skimping on packaging, overcharge protection circuits, craptastic build quality overall could do it. Look at even AA batteries from say Energizer and compare them to Powerex (MAHA). The Powerex will cost about 25-50% more but you will get pretty damn close to their rated capacity. The Energizers till will be at their rated capacity, but they are just lower. The off brands you can get for the same or even less claiming to be 2700 mAh are full of crap. None so far tested have actually been even close to that. Some are even under 2000.
Battery technology just isn't there yet.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I was just using them as an example of what some battery makers do. There aren't as many li-ion batteries that aren't made into battery packs, so it's harder to test them. The only kinda sorta common li-ion battery would be the 3 volt 123. Mostly used for flashlights and cameras. You can get a charger for the more common AA, AAA, C, D, and 9 volt that will give you a very close reading of that's battery's storage capacity. Nothing like that for the li-ion batteries though.
Basically I guess what I'm saying is that I don't trust the no-name companies out there, even less than I do in the NiMh AAs because there is no easy to find or use consumer tester available.

Upvote 0
Let's face it. Battery technology sucks. It ought to be way better than it is if it had kept pace with other tech developments. We are left with short-term batteries for today's devices and a need constantly to be on the lookout for a power supply to make sure we keep going.

I have twice so far flattened two successive spare batteries whilst on the go and I'm sure it will happen again.

And am I the only person who can easily be 48 hours away from any power source?

Note3bsmiley_zpsc29b2f9a.png

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
They all will make the phone larger. You can download something like Juice Defender which turns stuff off to help improve battery life. But if you select the aggressive mode to really extend battery life, you might find that the system operates sluggishly.

All these extended batteries really are just batteries stacked on top of each other and fused together. Therefore, if you want twice the capacity, expect the new battery to be twice as large. I had the same problem when I owned the Galaxy S3. The extended batteries weighed down the phone and restricted which case i could buy. Just carry an extra charger or carry an extra battery around to swap out the discharged battery. Samsung carries one that fits into a nifty box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones