• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help NOTE 3 (LTE) UPDATE question

So I'm still using 4.3 Jelly Bean that came with my Note 3. After hearing all those issues on Kitkat, I have decided to still upgrade my phone, hoping nothing will go wrong. I was wondering what the differences are between OTA updates, Kies3 updates, Kies via Wifi updates etc? My Note 3 is as it was the day I bought it; no root, no customizations. What is the preferred method to get a firmware upgrade? I purchased my phone in Saudi Arabia and live in India now, so will OTA update give me the Indian firmware or the one from Saudi? What will Kies do? Thanks.

There is not one jot of difference between how you update. OTA is considered less safe than Kies (Kies 3), but I've never had a problem with it over a decent Wi-Fi connection.

You will get Saudi Arabian firmware however you try and upgrade. What firmware you get is dependent on your phones CSC code (type *#1234# from the phone dialler to see your CSC then Google it to see what firmware you'll get).

kitkat - 4.4.2 is fine, the major issues with it were on carrier branded firmwares from the USA, not applicable to an international SM-N9005 Note 3 which yours should be.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! Yes I do have the SM-N9005 Snapdragon 800 (4G LTE) version. So when I upgrade, I will be getting the firmware for the International Note 3 model and won't be facing carrier related issues?

Do you suggest a factory reset before and after the upgrade? Kies 3 shows a firmware upgrade available and that should be it according to my phone model..

Upvote 0
I'm glad it went OK. I was pretty sure it would do, but I can see why it would concern you.

Download booster is a feature of the newer Galaxy S5, I would imagine the Note 4 will have it too. We may get it on our Note 3 when Android 'L' comes along and Samsung have to optimise TouchWiz for it. That is "if" we get 'L' (Lollipop?) we should do but nothing is confirmed.

Upvote 0
Or LayerCake! I saw people upgrading to Kitkat on AT&T and getting Downloaded Booster and Kids Mode! The only change I see is Status bar, Settings, Music app and Perfomance.

One more question, say I was rooted, and used 4.3 Jelly Bean. I have the CSC code, Build Number, etc. How to see which Kitkat version should I upgrade to for my region? (Using Odin)

Upvote 0
Or LayerCake! I saw people upgrading to Kitkat on AT&T and getting Downloaded Booster and Kids Mode! The only change I see is Status bar, Settings, Music app and Perfomance.

One more question, say I was rooted, and used 4.3 Jelly Bean. I have the CSC code, Build Number, etc. How to see which Kitkat version should I upgrade to for my region? (Using Odin)

Go to SamMobile here and put your CSC and model number in. You don't need an account to check, but I strongly advise registering :)

Firmwares | SamMobile | Page 2

Upvote 0
Ok so I just put in SM-N900 and 3 results for Saudi Arabia came up but which one is mine? (All show 4.4.2)

Click on each one to the download page and compare all the codes you get by dialing *#1234# from your phones dialler. It really won't matter which one you install unless there is a carrier branded firmware in Saudi Arabia for a particular network.

Upvote 0
So I'm still using 4.3 Jelly Bean that came with my Note 3. After hearing all those issues on Kitkat, I have decided to still upgrade my phone, hoping nothing will go wrong. I was wondering what the differences are between OTA updates, Kies3 updates, Kies via Wifi updates etc? My Note 3 is as it was the day I bought it; no root, no customizations. What is the preferred method to get a firmware upgrade? I purchased my phone in Saudi Arabia and live in India now, so will OTA update give me the Indian firmware or the one from Saudi? What will Kies do? Thanks.

There is not really a whole lot of differences between 4.3 and 4.4. If 4.3 is running fine for you without any battery drains i would honestly stay with it.

Upvote 0
Hey! I couldn't find the new post button on my phone so I remembered you and knew you could help. Say, I have a sim-free Note 2 4G purchased in the US and I inserted a T-Mobile simcard at will. I am not bound by firmware updates from T-Mobile since I bought the phone off contract, right? Will it have firmware issues after upgrading as asked by me in this original post? Thanks once again.

Upvote 0
Hey! I couldn't find the new post button on my phone so I remembered you and knew you could help. Say, I have a sim-free Note 2 4G purchased in the US and I inserted a T-Mobile simcard at will. I am not bound by firmware updates from T-Mobile since I bought the phone off contract, right? Will it have firmware issues after upgrading as asked by me in this original posts? Thanks once again.

The weird and wonderful world of US carriers, carriers own firmware and compatibility of phones purchased from one carrier and used on another are very confusing to we "international" device owners. I would imagine, and I'm guessing completely: A carrier bought and branded device will be SIM locked to that carrier and if unlocked and used on another network will still get OTA updates of the original carriers firmware.

I'm going to post a thread on this for my own curiosity.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones