• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 3 on MetroPCS?

Hello all, I am new here but I have been a lurker since the GS3 days. I have two questions on getting the note 3 onto Metro. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Do you guys know if there will be an unlocked GSM version of this device free of carrier bloatware that will run fully on metro? Also if I were to buy the tmobile note 3 and bring it over to Metro, will my google wallet no longer work on metro? It is my understanding that tmobile phones block google wallet.

By the way. I know rooting is an option, but it is one of those things I no longer like to deal with.

Thanks!

I've never heard of T-Mobile phones blocking Google wallet. Where did you hear that?

Upvote 0
So Here's the deal. After contacting like 6 TMo Stores and being told that none of them sell devices without a plan I found one that did. I had to drive like 20 minutes to get there but I got one. I haven't had a chance to do a full test yet, but I can happily announce that I was able to get it connected with no unlock needed. Everything seems to work fine so far.

I will let you know if I catch anything.

Reactions: Kat58
Upvote 0
I understand Kat. I could have waited, but I get a bit more excited. I am in L.A California. I did a speed test with it just now and these are my numbers.

12.10 Mbps Down and 6.34 Mbps up with two bars of 4g lte. I took a screenshot, but it seems I would need to host it somewhere.

Only annoying thing I have come across so far is Wi-Fi Calling error Icon when I am on wifi. It is alerting me to the fact that I need to update my 911 address. But I don't have a Tmo account to do that. Dos not effect anything but its still an annoying icon.

Upvote 0
I'm in northern cali and was like you ready to rush out and buy it but the more I thought about it and how much it costs the more I decided to just wait it out. I spent close to $700 just this past year for my Galaxy 3 and even that was pricey. Normally I would just sell my G3 to help pay for the N3 but my husband has my old Esteem and that one has been giving him problems so when I do get the Note 3 I will be passing my G3 on to him.

Upvote 0
Only annoying thing I have come across so far is Wi-Fi Calling error Icon when I am on wifi. It is alerting me to the fact that I need to update my 911 address. But I don't have a Tmo account to do that. Dos not effect anything but its still an annoying icon.

The Wi-Fi calling error icon can be easily turn it off by disabling Wi-Fi calling toggle in Settings/My Device/Call. The problem is that because the Note is from T-Mobile you will never be able to make Wi-Fi calls unless Metro start selling the Note 3 then you will need to flash their firmware on your device.

Upvote 0
The Wi-Fi calling error icon can be easily turn it off by disabling Wi-Fi calling toggle in Settings/My Device/Call. The problem is that because the Note is from T-Mobile you will never be able to make Wi-Fi calls unless Metro start selling the Note 3 then you will need to flash their firmware on your device.

Doesnt matter, wifi calling should work on both phones with tmobile firmware and metros

Upvote 0
Howdy UltraVic,
As far as the 911 error all you have to do is open chat on metropcs' site and ask them to update your e-911 address. I had the same error on my wife t-mobile note 2 when I activated it on metro for her.
My Local T-mobile store called me today he got one of the two note 3 i want (just a black one) my wife wants a white one.So gonna wait till he has both.
ciao,

Upvote 0

you're mistaken, you can make wifi-calls on a BYOD device, you just have to call customer service(metro) and have them update your e911 address. I've already done it on numerous t-mobile branded devices.

and yes you can turn off wifi-calling buy doing what you said, but you can wifi call on metro with a BYOD.

Upvote 0
Howdy UltraVic,
As far as the 911 error all you have to do is open chat on metropcs' site and ask them to update your e-911 address. I had the same error on my wife t-mobile note 2 when I activated it on metro for her.
My Local T-mobile store called me today he got one of the two note 3 i want (just a black one) my wife wants a white one.So gonna wait till he has both.
ciao,

-Thanks I am going to give this a try right now.

-Picked up a white one myself Kbosdq. Nice device, its pretty light for the size. All the weight is in the 3200 MAH battery.

Upvote 0
Price is high no doubt. This is a device I will only be recommending to hardware enthusiasts. This is how it breaks down for me.

Sale Amount: $739.99
Tax: $66.60
Total: $806.59

plus I think it was $15 or $25 at metro after activation.

If your getting it next month I am sure you will find better deals online.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones