• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 3: The Night of Ink

Impulse350z

Lurker
Sep 15, 2014
Greetings,

TLDR: Replaced the glass screen + digitizer for the Note 3. Now the S-pen doesn't work. Did the repair shop order the wrong parts, or does the S-pen just not work with replacement parts?

I purchased my Note 3 (AT&T) in mid January 2014 and I quickly fell in love. However, a few weeks ago I must have dropped the phone because a small sliver of a crack appeared in the screen. Shortly thereafter a pick/purple/blackish inky film began to spread across the screen. First it was only a drop in the top left corner.. but within days the entire screen was covered in an opaque sea of ink.

The phone still worked but I couldn't see what I was doing thanks to the ink.

Going to AT&T was useless--they simply referred me to Samsung. Upon calling Samsung I quickly realized that they wouldn't fix the phone (physical damage isn't covered) and that if they did repair the phone, it would take several weeks.

I ended up going to a local shop to have it fixed--CellnTabletRepair in Farmington, CT.

They ordered me a new screen and installed it for roughly $250, which seemed reasonable enough, especially considering that it only took them a day or two.

However, when I returned home I realized that the S-pen no longer worked. I called the store and spoke to the gentleman who fixed the phone and he said that he must have ordered the wrong screen + Digitizer and that he'd get back to me to make it right.

A few days later I called back and the owner (not the guy who I spoke with before) said that after market screens + Digitzers don't work with the S pen, even though it was the manufacturer's parts, which didn't make sense to me.

Is he BSing me? Or do I just have to live w/o the S-pen? Did they order the wrong part?

Any help is appreciated!

Yours,

Mike

It's possible they installed the replacement screen incorrectly or forgot to include something for the S-pen. I think I may call Samsung and see what they say.

If the repair shop is correct in saying that replacement screens don't allow for S-pen use, I'd imagine that it would be more widely known. I can't find much about it online.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with a service rep. According to him if the screen + digitizer was an official Samsung product the S-pen should work perfectly fine. Either the screen wasn't installed correctly or they ordered a non-Samsung screen + digitizer.

This is inline with what the original employee (not the owner) told me when I first confronted him about the issue (he said that he ordered the wrong part). I'll go ahead and see if I can get this taken care of.

Hopefully this can help anyone else with a similar issue! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones