1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Note 4 Android is Upgrading on Every Boot

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chicago64, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Chicago64

Chicago64 Newbie

Hello,

The past couple of times I've rebooted my Note 4 I get the "Android is upgrading" popup. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to finish and my battery has usually lost 8% or so each time. The phone is completely stock. What could be causing this?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Usually you get the Android is upgrading and the spinning "wait" circle after a firmware OTA update on first reboot. That and flashing things on a rooted device (which I guess your Note 4 is not).

This is quite odd, and I don't know why it is happening for you.

3. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

my Note 3 always did that if i hard-rebooted it (battery pull) and i just assumed that was how KitKat (Android 4.4.2) worked on boot. a fast boot wouldn't show it.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

You should only be seeing "Android is Upgrading" once, either after a firmware upgrade or you've cleared the Dalvik/VM cache. "Android is Upgrading" during boot means it's actually rebuilding the Dalvik/VM cache, or it's recompiling the all the apps if using ART.

I have seen this once "Android is Upgrading" on every boot. What happened the rebuilding of the Dalvik/VM wasn't completing, although the phone appeared to boot normally. So it was trying to rebuild it every time the phone started, but never completing it. This was on a Lenovo phone. A factory reset fixed it.

KOLIO and ocnbrze like this.
  5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i moved this to the note 4 forum, so that others who have your device can chime in as well.

mikedt likes this.
  6. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

You must have switched from dalvik to ART....

Did the same thing to me. I switched back to Dalvik

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews