1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Note 4 Car Charger Problem/Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by davidlawrence, Oct 17, 2014.

1. davidlawrence

davidlawrence Newbie

I have a Schoche USBC242M 12 Watt USB Car Charger
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1UWA4O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It outputs 12w 5v 2.4 amps per USB port, which can power two iPads at one time. It charges my LG G2 without a problem as well.

When I plug my Note 4 into it, the Note 4 doesn't charge. At all.

I contacted Samsung through their online chat, but all the rep could say was that it needed a "newer" charger. He suggested I contact Samsung Customer Support for more info, but they aren't open until Monday.

Does anyone have any more info about why this charger isn't working with the Note 4, and how I can identify chargers that WILL work with it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. davidlawrence

davidlawrence Newbie

Just an update:

The Samsung Accessories page for the Note 4 lists only one car charger:
    Vehicle Charger (2 Amp) w/ Detachable Micro USB to USB Cable

That charger is only a 2 amp charger, so on paper it seems my charger should be more than adequate. There seems to be something about the charger that the Note 4 doesn't like.

3. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast

Does it not even show that it's charging (despite it not actually charging)? I don't think I've experienced a charger not at least trickle charge a phone but I do know that if the charger's USB port is not designed in a way that it can identify some Android (Samsung) phones, then it won't give the full 2A or whatever is the max for the device and instead gives as low as 500mA or less and therefore not giving enough juice to charge as much as being used.

It's hard to figure out which ones would work BUT, I decided to get this (because I figured the carrier must have made sure it would work) and lo and behold it works to charge any of my Samsung phones well - including the Note 4. It auto-detects and delivers the proper amperage. Of course, it's not as fast as the rapid charger 9v that comes with the phone.

Vehicle Charger with Dual Output | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

If you end up getting this - note that the end of the microUSB has a light and that may interfere with any case you may have. In that case, you'll have then use the 2nd USB port with your own cable or take the case off. lol I don't know why they designed it like that. The older version of this without the light also worked for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Micro...413603020&sr=8-2&keywords=verizon+car+charger

Actually, I do know of one phone that sometimes just doesn't respond at all after plugging the microUSB in to charge - and that is my blackberry that i use for work. Now THAT phone is very finicky.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews