• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The Spigen cases are so cheap on Amazon compared to their own site and I'm very indecisive between the slim armor and the tough armor that I ended up ordering both. Might not be the last ones I get, too. LOL!

The Spigen glass screen protector is listed as currently unavailable and their site doesn't even show it. That's too bad since I usually get their glass protectors. I'm going to pick up another brand in the interim.

Upvote 0
I'm also considering an Otterbox Defender. Any idea if you can use a tempered glass screen protector with one?

First of all, this only comes from my experience with the S4 Otterbox (though I'd assume they are all the same).

Yes and no. The Otterbox comes with its own screen protector. However, since I installed one myself, I pushed their screen protector out of the box. From what I've seen, the tempered glass screen protector would cover up the camera and one other portion. Googling this, however, had someone state that it isn't a *major* thing, and it still works fine while covered up.

Upvote 0
I really like OtterBox cases. I think they make the best protective cases. But a couple things I don't like about them are there sizes, too bulky, and the lip on the bottom near the home button after time seems to stretch out of shape. My friend at work has a commuter case on his GS5 and the lip is stretching out at the bottom. I had this problem with my original HTC EVO. My other friend at work has a Defender case on his Note 3. That case makes the phone look so big. But I have to say, if you have an OtterBox on your phone, you don't have to worry about it much.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the tempered glass screen protector, but the real world use of it was sub par in my experience.

The glass chips and shatters very easily. I realize that is part of the idea, but I didn't get 3 months use out of either of the ones I had on my S4.

One shattered on a very low drop, less than 3 feet.

The second got a small chip on the corner, which spider webbed out over time.

The adhesive also did not hold up to daily usage. It was bubbling up on the edges and grew over time.

If the chip hadn't eventually grown so much I had to get rid of the protector, it would have eventually peeled off.

Way too much money for a product that didn't last. Ditto the Spigen Neo Hybrid case. The weak points are the charger and speaker holes. If you aren't careful removing the ring, you will snap it in one of those places.

I hope the N4 version is built differently.

Upvote 0
First of all, this only comes from my experience with the S4 Otterbox (though I'd assume they are all the same).

Yes and no. The Otterbox comes with its own screen protector. However, since I installed one myself, I pushed their screen protector out of the box. From what I've seen, the tempered glass screen protector would cover up the camera and one other portion. Googling this, however, had someone state that it isn't a *major* thing, and it still works fine while covered up.

I've always removed the installed screen protector and used an anti-glare with my Otterbox Defender. I'm hoping that a tempered glass screen protector won't be too thick for the Defender to snap together.

Upvote 0
My S4 had that Seidio case with the kickstand that survived any kind of drop known to man and the glass never took a hit and it never got damaged. Almost looks brand spanking new. That Spigen one with the kickstand is the one I ordered. Should of got electric blue but I got that silver black one.

Upvote 0
My Spigen Neo case just arrived, here are some pics for anyone considering this case. I put it side by side with the Goospery TPU case I have on my Note 3 to give you an idea of size. I ordered it from Amazon for $16.99 (had a $5.00 credit so got it for $11.99) and it was eligible for prime free 2 day shipping plus no sales tax because it was sold by Spigen.

20141017_133423_zpsaa0c908e.jpg

20141017_133435_zps550c5d94.jpg

20141017_134156_zps87b45b31.jpg

20141017_133850_zpsca4f0b0f.jpg

Upvote 0
Personally, I love cases made by Zenus. They are the most beautiful, stylish cases I've ever seen. Real leather. I love my Zenus case for my Note 3 and will probably get a Zenus case for Note 4 .... the Zenus website doesn't yet show Note 4 cases but I believe they'll have them there soon. They aren't dirt-cheap, but IMO are worth it if you want something stylish as well as practical.

Upvote 0
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the S-View case from Best Buy today. It's pricey, but I really like it! It's very slim -- about as slim as I could expect a case to be. It feels well made, and I really like the S-View window.

It's the closest thing to going without a case that I could imagine while still protecting front and back (other than skins).

Upvote 0
I ordered the following from Amazon:

Galaxy Note 4 Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for Note 4 - Retail Packaging - Gunmetal (SGP11139) Amazon.com: Galaxy Note 4 Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for Note 4 - Retail Packaging - Gunmetal (SGP11139): Cell Phones & Accessories

Galaxy Note 4 Case, i-Blason Unity Series 2 Layer [Ultra Slim] Armored Hybrid Cover [For Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910S / SM-N910C] with Inner Soft Case and Hard Outter Shell for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ9922M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tech Armor Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Premium Ballistic Glass Screen Protector - Protect Your Screen from Scratches and Drops - Maximize Your Resale Value - 99.99% Clarity and Touchscreen Accuracy
Amazon.com: Tech Armor Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Premium Ballistic Glass Screen Protector - Protect Your Screen from Scratches and Drops - Maximize Your Resale Value - 99.99% Clarity and Touchscreen Accuracy: Cell Phones & Accessories

Wall Charger, Arcadia NT90C 17W 5V/3.4A [Dual USB Ports] [High-Speed] AC Wall Charger with [Foldable Prong] for most of the Smartphones, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S5,.. 5V Tablets, iPad Air, iPad 2/3/4,.. and more.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M7F15QO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Upvote 0
Hi, I took a few quick pictures of my Spigen Tough Armor case in case anyone was thinking of it... I also ordered the Slim Armor that I have not gotten yet. Sorry for the mediocre quality... I had limited light available and was using my LG G3 camera.

I like it - but wondering how much slimmer the Slim Armor is because according to the specs, it's only 1mm slimmer. I might try the Neo Hybrid, but I do like the protection. The kick stand isn't bad but not sure how much I will use it.

1018141848.jpg 1018141849a.jpg 1018141851.jpg 1018141853.jpg 1018141855.jpg

Reactions: daddyd302
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones