• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 4 issues

Hi, this is my first post and I am here out of desperation and seek g some advice.

I have a Note 4 which I have been using for a long time now.

Over the past couple of months it has been getting increasingly temperamental, it will take ages to open some apps, chrome is a nightmare and then, for no apparent reason the device will just restart itself.

I have deleted Chrome and reinstalled it. I have cleared out old apps and caches etc.
I cannot access the boot cache as when I try to press the combination of buttons to get there, I get an error message with the little drool icon says something like 'no command'.

I have attached details of the specs etc if the phone.

I guess that the only solution might be a 100% backup and then a factory reset?

I am not extend techy, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
David

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-25-21-45-27.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-25-21-45-27.png
    525.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_2021-01-25-21-45-22.png
    Screenshot_2021-01-25-21-45-22.png
    501.1 KB · Views: 68
Hi, this is my first post and I am here out of desperation and seek g some advice.

I have a Note 4 which I have been using for a long time now.

Over the past couple of months it has been getting increasingly temperamental, it will take ages to open some apps, chrome is a nightmare and then, for no apparent reason the device will just restart itself.

I have deleted Chrome and reinstalled it. I have cleared out old apps and caches etc.
I cannot access the boot cache as when I try to press the combination of buttons to get there, I get an error message with the little drool icon says something like 'no command'.

I have attached details of the specs etc if the phone.

I guess that the only solution might be a 100% backup and then a factory reset?

I am not extend techy, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
David

Yeh, think it's worth trying a backup and factory reset, given what you've said. But it's still restarting etc, that could be inductive of a hardware problem, or given the age perhaps it's the battery is kaput?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
yep sounds normal for a phone such as the note 4. i think it maybe time to upgrade your phone. phones have a lifespan of about 3-4 years on average, so you are way past that. i would try factory resetting it as well and see if that helps. but you will find that apps will stop working due to lack of dev support for older os's. you will find that the internet will hog your resources as a lot of websites uses tons of cookies, graphics, and cache which could slow your phone down. battery life will continue to go downhill so be prepared for battery failure at some point.

you can thank apple for the planned obsolescence that everyone has adopted.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yeh, think it's worth trying a backup and factory reset, given what you've said. But it's still restarting etc, that could be inductive of a hardware problem, or given the age perhaps it's the battery is kaput?
Thanks for this, I have run a few 'repair and diagnostic' apps and the battery seems OK. It was new a couple of years ago. I will do a back up with Smart switch I guess and see what happens

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones