1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Note 4 just decided it won't charge to 100%

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AZgl1500, Jan 28, 2017.

1. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have seen many threads from folks saying that their phones just up and decided that they will not fully charge the battery.

What have I done?
    Reboot the phone several times, when changing to a different ( and new ) battery, plus going back to the OEM battery.

So, 4 batteries tried out, 2 of them new, two of them used, one came with my first Note 4, the 2nd came with my current Note 4 which is rooted ( for what that might be worth )

The phone shows 84% and does not go any higher.
    The Red LED stays lit indicating that the phone is in Charge Mode. Typically it would go Green at 99-100 percent.

I can't see how it would make any difference, or why it would cause it, but I installed Facebook on the phone and suddenly the "life cycle" between charges went to hell..... discharging at 3 times the normal rate.... then I changed the batteries, and no help, then I uninstalled Facebook, and still no help.

The only thing unusual that I can remember is that I have dropped the phone twice in the last couple of weeks. But it is installed in wrap around folding leather case with a magnetic latch to keep it closed. It once hit flat as a pancake on its' backside and I thought "aw shit!!!" because a different attitude would give the case a chance to soften the blow.

I can't think of anything to "fix this", can you??

Advertisement

2. jadmorffier

jadmorffier Member
    None

Sep 2, 2016
    I had similar issues. I bought a new battery and nothing changed. The way I fixed it was by recalibrating the battery with an app. There are plenty of Battery Calibration apps in the Play Store. I used this one... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superthomaslab.rootessentials

Basically your battery is actually at 100% physical capacity but android doesnt think it is. s
    So you have to let it know this. The app will do that for you. After a reboot it should be fixed. If not repeat the process a few more times.

Regarding facebook, ditch it and do a google search for facebook lite apk. Find a trusted site that has the latest version and try that. It's only 1mb and it's awesome. No ads, runs very lean and doesn't drain your battery. It doesn't do everything the bloated Facebook app does but I'd rather a smaller and leaner app with slightly lesser functions any day of the week.

Thom and AZgl1500 like this.
  3. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Thank you very much for that post.
    I was wondering if a Recalibration app would help me?

My mind is in a fog, my wife died last Tuesday and I can't think straight....
    and I just don't need these issues going on to complicate my life.

Thanks a lot for the tip on that Facebook Lite apk, I really like that it does not have advertisements in it.
    I have been having to use AdGuard to prevent the FB Lite version off of Google Play store from blasting me with adverts.

Thom likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    This is a good place to visit at this time. There is a golden light around you.

... Thom

AZgl1500 likes this.
  5. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    well, did the battery recalibration with that app you suggested, restarted the phone, and nada.

just like it was.
    it is currently in the Discharge phase of running the battery down and then do a full recharge to see what that does. ATM, it is showing 50%

50% of what though I wonder?

6. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    I usually keep buying new batteries until I find the one that charges to 100%.

7. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    sheesh!

I am not real happy with this. The recalibration process was followed to a 'T'...
    • recal:
    • allow battery to discharge until phone turned off
    • allow to charge back up, and now it stops at 67%, not the 84% that it showed in the 1st post.

I have four batteries, two of them are brand new and unused.
    two of them are OEM from two different Note 4 phones ( one phone I killed by laying it in the sun on the trucks dashboard )
    the 2nd phone I bought from The_Chief and it has worked perfect until now.

I am getting gun shy, I can't afford to replace this phone.... I do have my old S5 as a backup though, but only because my wife passed away a week ago and I unregistered it from service. why pay for a phone line if it isn't truly in use anymore?

the S5 is a good phone, but the display size is too small for my 73 y/o eyes.

8. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    2 years and counting,
    Still using the Note 4, but after buying 5 batteries off of eBay, I threw the towel in and drove downtown to a Brick and Mortar store called Interstate Batteries.

I bought a Genuine Samsung battery off the shelf for $39.95 plus state and federal taxes.....

that battery is still charging up to 100% and and lasting me about 20 hours of use, on and off.....

I use MacroDroid to turn off the Internet when the screen is locked.
    e.g., DATA and WiFi are both turned OFF.

the phone is rooted and on 4.4.4 and staying that way...