• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 4 Marshmallow Problems ...

GadgetJim

Nov 18, 2015
The Marshmallow Update has destroyed my battery life ... !!! Before the update I was getting 1-2 days (24-48 hours, even 12 hours with heavy use, and some battery remaining) with my ZeroLemon 10000mAh Extended battery. Now I get around 7-8 hours total from 100% to Zero %, which is terrible, and totally NOT acceptable.

I'm hoping there will be a fix for this major bug/glitch soon ...... I use my Note 4 for heavy gaming, sometimes all night long. I need to enable Bluetooth, full Brightness, Tethering, GPS, and have several apps open at the same time. I was still getting a full night of heavy use from around 7:00 p.m. until 10:00 a.m. the next day, with battery power still remaining. Now, I need to have my Note 4 connected to one of my battery packs, which is a very inconvenient .....

Oh yes, I did the Factory Reset, which did NOT help at all. Everything is exactly the same as before (same apps, same settings). I actually have less apps installed now. I have turned off everything that I can (haptic feedback, sounds, notifications, animations, etc.). But I must have Bluetooth, Tethering, GPS, Roaming (to maintain a solid Internet connection for gaming > Ingress), and full Brightness, which was not a problem with Lollipop.

I knew it had something to do with Ingress, I'm hooked myself :oops:

Before I did the Marshmallow Update, I could play Ingress all night, literally .... My record so far is 18 hours portal treking (with several breaks, including a long 2 1/2 hours break at Denny's, but still connected to Ingress, and recharging some portals remotely, while sitting in Denny's .....

Upvote 0
This Marshmallow serious battery drain is really a total bummer ..... It's a major inconvenience for me to have to have my Note 4 conneted to a huge battery pack while portal treking ..... I tried using a RavPower 3350mAh battery pack, but it is not powerful enough to charge my Note 4 while portal treking. I also tried the Ingress Power Cube, same problem.

So I have to use my monster RavPower 13000mAh battery pack connected to my Note 4 while I'm portal treking.

I guess I could just buy a whole bunch of the stock batteries, and simply install a freshly charged stock battery for another 2 or 2/12 hours of use, which really sucks.

I really hope this serious battery drain issue will be fixed with a very soon update ..... Otherwise, I will need to find another smartphone that has a removable battery and compatible with the ZeroLemon 10000mAh battery .....

Before I did the Marshmallow Update, I could play Ingress all night, literally .... My record so far is 18 hours portal treking (with several breaks, including a long 2 1/2 hours break at Denny's, but still connected to Ingress, and recharging some portals remotely, while sitting in Denny's .....

Upvote 0
I knew it had something to di with Ingress, I'm hooked myself :oops:

So, you are a serious Ingress player ? Which team are you ? What level ? I'm at Level 8. Took me around 2 1/2 months to make Level 8. I'm trying to make Level 9 before I start back to work in August .... Might take me until Thanksgiving or Christmas to make Level 9 .....

Upvote 0
So, you are a serious Ingress player ? Which team are you ? What level ? I'm at Level 8. Took me around 2 1/2 months to make Level 8. I'm trying to make Level 9 before I start back to work in August .... Might take me until Thanksgiving or Christmas to make Level 9 .....

Currently I am at lvl 11 and need 2 more gold badges to level up, I believe I am a serious Ingress player and try to make the Anomalies ........ I am with the Resistance..... Vive la Resistance :D

Upvote 0
As per the other thread, Sammy told me to take it into a Best Buy. Just found out they aren't all alike and you have to make sure that the BB you go to has all the equipment. Now the odd part -- I find it very, very unusual that TWO Note 4s ill both exhibit the same symptoms. I know for sure that one of them worked before the Marshmallow upgrade.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I went into Best Buy in Tulsa, Oklahoma to get a battery for my Note 4.

they told me the phone is now "obsolete" and they don't stock anything for it now. ????

WTF? I don't like places that just artificially decide they aren't going to service equipment older than 15 minutes ago... :mad:

So, I just did what I always do, went online and I found lots of folks who are willing to sell me OEM batteries for my Note 4.... managed to find a pair of spares at the same price that BB had listed for just one.

Upvote 0
Amazon has them but at a high price - and they may be fake. There are so many fake batteries around.

Of further note, I have discovered that BOTH my Note 4s are firing the LED light when the IR light is supposed to light but my camera seems to indicate that no actual IR light is going on, only that alert LED. These 2 pretty new phones didn't suddenly burn out the LED. Even a safe mode boot isn't illuminating the IR LED when I use the diagnostic tests. Either something is screwed up with the Marshmallow upgrade (and I'll have to go into the damn store and hope) or something else is blocking the IR light from illuminating.

Upvote 0
Speaking of batteries: I had just bought a new OEM battery, bought and used for less than a month, now selling.....98% new. Since I just traded my Note 4 in for a Note 5, I have no use for it.

FWIW, instead of China, it's made in Vietnam (so is my Note 5 phone).

Asking $10, including shipping, no tax...use PayPal. Let me know via "private conversation", for details, if interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for the battery offer, I have two new OEM batteries that are supposed to arrive "today", at $19.80 shipping included... I don't know how they can afford to do that....
Just like most any retail item:
Grossly overpriced when 1st introduced & even at the current asking price,still making a tidy sum.
They're not giving 'em away,as much as they'd like for us to believe that notion................

Upvote 0
Is the update the reason why my phone automatically shuts off at 30% battery when streaming something? Snapchat used to be the only app to shut down my phone if it was at about 30% or less. But now, i can be at 30% get on YouTube or listening to music on Google Play (then go into the app to look for a song), and my phone would shut down by itself. I don't remember the last time i saw a "low battery" warning before shutting down. I have 2 batteries and they're both doing it :/

Upvote 0
Is the update the reason why my phone automatically shuts off at 30% battery when streaming something? Snapchat used to be the only app to shut down my phone if it was at about 30% or less. But now, i can be at 30% get on YouTube or listening to music on Google Play (then go into the app to look for a song), and my phone would shut down by itself. I don't remember the last time i saw a "low battery" warning before shutting down. I have 2 batteries and they're both doing it :/

Hi,

First of all, I would try opening a new thread for a new topic as more people are likely to look at it.

That said: The battery percentages are somewhat fictional. They are estimated from the battery voltage which is measured by the device. Since the voltage drops as the battery discharges (gets tired and cannot push as much current as before) that is usually a fair estimate of the battery life left. Now, the phone will need a certain voltage to stay alive, so when the battery cannot deliver this voltage the phone will shutdown to "save" the battery. So, if you are using the phone heavily then the phone will be more likely to cross this threshold.

Long story short: Something on your phone is causing the phone to require more voltage than can be provided by a battery that claims to have 30% left in it. If you find that something, you find your problem. Check for anything that has been installed or updated recently and disable each in turn until the problem goes away. You could also try booting into safe more and also checking the app list for any application that uses a fair amount of CPU power frequently.

Good luck hunting...

Regards,
Eric.

Last edited:
Reactions: javamann
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones