1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Note 4 rattling noise

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eddie200290, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

Hey guys got my note 4 about a week ago and I must say I'm in love with this device! However I noticed there's slight rattling noise coming from the rear near the top of the phone when I shake it. Is it normal?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

I think that is the sound of your volume rocker slightly moving

3. 1989galaxys4

1989galaxys4 Newbie

Never noticed until you pointed it out. I could baaaaarely hear it by putting the device up close to my ear

4. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

No its not the volume rocker as I tried holding all the buttons down with the back cover , battry, sim card and sd card all taken out.

5. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

I hope it's not something came loose inside. The noise seems to be coming from the rear camera.

6. Risley

Risley Well-Known Member

Mine does it as did every single iPhone I ever owned or looked at. I believe it is something in the camera module in higher end phones. It's irony in the truest form...The POS phones don't rattle a bit, the $750+ phones rattle like a toy.

7. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

The only thing that makes any noise on mine is the volume rocker

8. MNB2012

MNB2012 Newbie

Mine makes the noise as well it's coming from the camera. Just shook my s4.makes the same noise

9. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

Went into the Samsung store just then and the guy said I might be something to do with the auto focus. He also said I'm the first one out of all the people that came in asking about the rattling noise plus it doesnt affect the functionality of the device, it's more of an OCD thing so I'm not sure whether to take it back for an exchange or not :\

10. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Android Enthusiast

Its the Camera, the AF mechanism to be more precise. EVERY SINGLE phone with AF has that rattle, and the more sophisticated the mechanism the louder it is as there are more parts and larger parts in the mechanism.

The reason why low end phones don't make the sound is due to either not having AF OR having a cheaper and more 'simple' AF mechanism.

Every phone I have owned since my Sony Ericsson W800i Walkman Phone has that rattle, there isn't much they can do about it, AFAIK optics are a very sensitive area.

11. medenblik

medenblik Lurker

I would say maybe it is camera shutter making the noise

12. Risley

Risley Well-Known Member

LOL......Like I said^

Its probably the camera

13. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

I thought it was something to do with the AF mechanism but it's still making the noise when the camera is on.

14. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast

It's probably the OIS mechanism in the camera. If I remember correctly, OIS actually causes the lens or sensor to pivot to counteract shaky hands. If I had to guess, that would be the rattling noise you guys are hearing. Or I could be 100% wrong lol

15. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

Just made a video for this rattling noise. You can just about hear it when not recording a video. However it's 's completely different story when shooting a video and here it is http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j0HJZy3feaU

16. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

touch your s pen on the end. Mine moves slightly so may be movement from that

17. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

No its not the s pen I took it out as I was filming the video

18. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor
    VIP Member

I would have never noticed that rattle until you folks pointed it out. Very Interesting.

TS

19. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

Which is exactly why I'm not listening to their videos or doing anything else to try to find out if it is on mine. My ADD will never stop listening to it after that.

20. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

Just went into Samsung store and spoke to one of the engineer and his phone has the same rattling issue and he reckons it just the mechanism inside the camera and he said I should go and get it exchanged and if same thing happens again then I just got to live with it

21. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor
    VIP Member

That has got to be one of the most stupidist answers I've ever heard.

So basically this so called engineer doesn't know if it is indeed the camera mechanism that causes that rattle or if its by design but does suggest you exchange the device thus possibly involving a re-stocking fee and a long ass wait to get a new device to only find out at that point in time if the rattle is there as well. and if so, to live with it.

I would have slapped the guy.

TS

22. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

That's exactly what I thought !! So now I'm not sure if I should take it back for an exchange (no re stocking fee because it's still within the 14 days period) or just live with it as he said....

23. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

Well, let's be fair. It's a retail store employee. Not an actual engineer.

24. Eddie200290

Eddie200290 Newbie

He went into the backroom and spoke to the engineer

25. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

Who is also a retail store employee (just one with slightly more experience and/or training), not an actual engineer.

Verizon is not going to waste the salary level requirement for an actual engineer by sitting them in a retail store fielding functionality questions on mobile devices.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews