1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Note 4 S-View cover case and Android Pay

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ifb-online, May 24, 2016.

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Android Pay is here in the UK now and I have started using it for the first time. I have successfully made a few payments but I find I need to open my S-View case for it to work. I don't need to unlock the screen but that screen needs to be on. I can't get it to work simply by pressing the power switch and light up the windowed screen when the case is closed.

Is that how it works on the Note 4 (or other S-View case-equipped phones)? Or is there a trick to get it to work without opening the case or even having to power it on (from standby). I got the impression that on a typical Android phone it should work when the phone is in standby. Help and answers very welcome!

I'm running Marshmallow, if that's of any relevance.

Advertisement

2. ifb-online

None

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Are there no Note 4 owners using Android Pay?

3. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Wirral, Merseyside, England
    I really don't see the point in it I'm afraid, we already have contactless payment, and it's no great problem to me use my card as I've always done. Phil

4. ifb-online

None

Mar 29, 2010
    Male
    Journalist and publisher
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    I can understand that point of view but I like the idea of not having to fish out cards from my wallet. I do use a contactless debit card when I can't use the phone. The phone also records my payments and the retailers where the money was spent; yes I get a bit of paper with that too, but having it on the phone us much more manageable.

5. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Wirral, Merseyside, England
    It takes me about 2 to 3 seconds to get my card out of my wallet, about the same time it takes me to get my phone out. Phil

6. Karl791

Karl791 Lurker
    None

Jun 10, 2016
    Male
    I just started using it myself. Currently runnin marshmallow 6.0.1.
    I habe been able to use it o occasions with the s view cover closed and just by pressing the power button to wake it up however on occasions I have had to open the cover and enter the backup password to make the payment.
    I don't know if this is due to security credentials because I have my gear s set up as a trusted device so the screen unlocks automatically when the cover is opened or if it's some other security measure but I'm still playing and getting used to it.
    I'll try disabling my gear s as a trusted device and see if that works.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launched in 2014 as the company's flagship phablet. It has a 5.7-inch screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 3GB of RAM, and an impressive 16 megapixel camera.