1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Note 4 speaker issue?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FnJ88, Jan 4, 2015.

1. FnJ88

FnJ88 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and I'm not sure if it's faulty. When I play ringtones (or other media), the speaker sounds really rattly/distorted. It's particularly noticeable when selecting the Quantum Bell ringtone. This happens with the volume at 50% or above. Does anyone else have this issue? It's probably just the way the speakers are but I thought I'd check whilst I am still able to return the phone.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS FnJ88 !
    Judging sound quality via forum is difficult at best,but,I believe I understand what you're describing.
    The N4's volume is quite loud,however,the clarity/richness/quality could use some improvement.
    The best way to rule out hardware issues is to compare to other N4's in the store & after you've determined the speaker isn't blown,I'd start experimenting w/some aftermarket equalizers/apps.
    This is definitely a hot topic for all users,regardless of make/model of phone & hopefully others will chime in w/their favorite/suggested apps & settings for best sound quality.

I myself recommend EQUALIZER:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer&hl=en

However,one of the more popular apps is POWER AMP:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

Mikestony likes this.
  3. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you!
    Administrator

Mar 26, 2008
    Androiding
    The Galaxy Note 4 battery cover is also MUCH harder to snap tightly shut than the Galaxy Note 3 in my experience. While it's unlikely something you overlooked, just want to suggest that you remove and reapply the battery cover, making sure it's 100% fit and snapped in. If it isn't... that would definitely cause rattling.

lunatic59, Mikestony and KOLIO like this.
  4. FnJ88

FnJ88 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    Thanks for the reply. I suspected something like that but it sounded rattly even with the cover off...

5. FnJ88

FnJ88 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    Thanks for the reply. I took my phone into a store today to compare but I couldn't access the demo model's ringtones to test it. I did listen to the music pre-installed on the demo model but it was hard to hear any rattling/distortion what with the noise in the shop.

The problem is that ringtones sound awful even with the sound low. It's like parts of the speaker are vibrating when they shouldn't be.

6. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Sounds like a replacement/warranty servicing is in order.
    The quality (for the most part,to be expected from one rear-mounted speaker) actually isn't too bad.
    However,it does appear that you got a bum speaker w/your handset.
    Please keep us posted on events w/warranty servicing/etc..... & the quality of your next handset/speaker replacement.

7. FnJ88

FnJ88 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    Just thought I'd let you know that I got a replacement handset today. The speaker is so much better on the new phone (more bass and no rattle at all) so the last one must have been a faulty. Phew!

Oddly, when I opened the new box the USB cable was wrapped around a plastic thing but it wasn't in the old one. Also, one of the stickers on the back of the first phone was peeling off. Not sure what that suggests, I'm just happy my phone works.

Thank you for all your help.

KOLIO likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launched in 2014 as the company's flagship phablet. It has a 5.7-inch screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 3GB of RAM, and an impressive 16 megapixel camera.