1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Note 4 to Galaxy S6 Text Transfer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JSNell, Jul 23, 2017.

1. JSNell

JSNell Lurker

Hey everyone... new to the boards here... I have a Note 4 that has some texts on I would like to keep, (my Dad who is now passed). I just got an S6 and I cannot transfer my text. Kies, used to be great but outdated. Smart Switch fails me every time and Cloud has no way to restore the texts that I can find. Cloud App on my S6 says I have 2967 Messages, but I cant see how to bring them down to the actual phone.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    JSnell

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There are many sms backup apps in the Play Store. Install one of them on both phones, use it to back up messages on the Note, copy the backup file to the S6 (or connect to same cloud store, as appropriate) and restore on the new phone.

3. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Phandroid Staff

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how hard it would/will be to lose a parent...

From the outside looking in, I'm just wondering if moving thousands of text messages to your new phone is really the best/healthiest thing to do? Just an idea for you: how about taking some time to read through ALL of the text messages and take screenshots of especially touching, funny, or memorable moments?

Then you'll have a curated and concise list of memorable conversations that you can reflect on. They'll be easy to save and back up so you can look at them anytime, anywhere. You could even print some out and make a collage or frame them. I think that'd be a really cool tribute and then you could put it somewhere that you'd see it every day.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but thought maybe you'd find the idea useful. I just doubt that having thousands of texts on your current phone will prove very meaningful for you in the grand scheme of things and wanted to offer an alternative.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  4. JSNell

JSNell Lurker

Hi Rob-
    Thank you and thanks for the suggestion. I own a company and have 100s of clients, many of them text me and I like to keep them for archival purposes. I agree they are cumbersome and I think they even slow my phone down. I actually (still) love my Note 4 but the USB port was failing. Ill start looking at some SMS backups as you and others have suggested. So far WonderShare MobileGo is also a bust.
    I'm just perplexed that the Verizon Cloud App shows that I have 2900 texts backed up, but no way to bring them back down to the device...

Rob likes this.
  5. JSNell

JSNell Lurker

Update:
    Carbonites 'SMS Backup and Restore', restored my call logs perfectly. Trying my Text messages now. Saying that I need to use their SMS program in order to view and use all old messages.

6. JSNell

JSNell Lurker

Double update:
    Carbonite 'SMS Backup and Restore' backed up my texts from Note 4 and I was able to bring them down to my S6. Hope this helps someone else, although I know both are older phones.

Rob and Jfalls63 like this.
  7. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Phandroid Staff

Awesome! Glad you found a solution and super thanks for coming back to let everyone know about it.