• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 4 with "Ok Google" While Screen is off - Moto X Feature

Blackout720

Aug 18, 2012
Earth
No root, no need to download or install anything.
This work for other devices as well as the Note 4. This enables the Google now "Ok Google" Feature where you can active Google now while the screen is off. This is something like the Moto X feature.

How To:
1) Open Google Now
2) Go to Google Now Settings
3) Click on "Voice"
4) Enable "Audio History"
5) Click "Ok Google Detection"
6)Click "Always on" and follow the remaining directions.

You Can also watch this How To Video if you want:

If you device is unsupported or it just wont work, then there is an app called "Open Mic+ for Google Now" which does this for you.
This also works on the Lg G3, Nexus 5, and Galaxy S5, from what I know. Please feel free to try other devices and let me know if they work as well.

Reactions: patsfann and mak916
I have onlyhad my phone for 3 days. I was able to use Voice search with the screen off for two days but now the option is non-selectable. Any ideas?

Didn't have that problem. Try going into the Application setting, find google now, and clear the cache and settings. Then redo the whole process.

Reactions: thirstypirate
Upvote 0
My screen is still not starting up when I prompt Google Now. I can't figure it out.

Google Now starts, but the screen doesn't come on

Same for me. I thought maybe it was supposed to stay dark. But, then of course, it does not respond to my command when leaving it dark.

In my case, I'm using Nova Launcher. Not sure if this makes any difference.

Reactions: JimKnuckles
Upvote 0
Same for me. I thought maybe it was supposed to stay dark. But, then of course, it does not respond to my command when leaving it dark.

In my case, I'm using Nova Launcher. Not sure if this makes any difference.

Hmm I started using Nova around the time this started .I know it has to be an app. I will uninstall it and see what happens...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones