• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 5 Unlocked Verizon on At&t Questions

Sithlyone

Lurker
Mar 6, 2017
Hello, I have recently purchased an Unlocked Verizon Note 5 and I'm attempting to use it on At&t network... and I'm having some issues (shocker right?).

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not but thought I'd start here. My wife had an unlocked S5 and it had some these same issues when we brought the phone over from Verizon to At&t so it may be a system wide thing that I need to look elsewhere for the answers.

1. Not receiving MMS messages. I've downloaded the app "Textra" and that seemed to work for about 3 or 4 days and all of the sudden that app doesn't work any longer. I get a little buzz and it says there is an apn issue and it can't download the mms (paraphrasing here). Nothing changed with my apn settings from when it was working and to when it wasn't so I'm not sure what the issue was.

I originally attempted to get At&t to fix this issue and they said this was a known issue with Verizons phones being ported over to At&t. He suggested that I go to the store and get them to change my apn settings. I did that before downloading Textra app and fixed my apn settings but I still didn't get mms. So I downloaded textra and thought that would work but something has changed and I'm not sure what, since I didn't do anything different.

It was also suggested that I do a factory reset and it may reset the phone so it works on the At&t network fully. The issue with that suggestion was that it wasn't guaranteed and I have already ported over all of my contacts and other info and have set the phone up the way that I like it. I don't want to go that route if I don't have to. So is this even remotely possible? or was the guy just giving me a shot in the dark suggestion?

2. I'm also having the annoying issue of verizon adding a "+" symbol at the beginning of my numbers. I downloaded the Prefixer app and that has seemed to have solved my issue for now, but it seems a little clunky and it pops up a box each time it is inacted and I would rather it just run in the background without any notifications. Not sure if you have any suggestions because I can't find a setting for that. It appears that it forces you to know when it is being used, like saying "See, I am an important app! Don't you see all the hard work I am doing?"...

3. I seem to lose signal and get a H+ or a 3G where I would always get a LTE before... The guy at the At&t store said that I was getting LTE but since it's a Verizon phone it doesn't register as LTE. Was he just blowing smoke is that true?

Any thing you can help me with would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

All of what you said applied to me when I switched my Verizon Note 4 to AT&T. I couldn't get MMS, no LTE, rather h+, etc. etc. The "fixes" at AT&T only were temporary. Luckily I had Asurian phone insurance as an extra cost plan on AT&T, so they replaced the Verizon Note 4 with an AT&T Note 5. It all came at a cost, a high $249 deductible, but with a better cheaper monthly plan at AT&T added to the mix, I am now content overall.

Ask me any questions if you have any questions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones