1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Note 7 spontaneous combustion - Discussion of possible explanations

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by johnpjackson, Oct 12, 2016.

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

@The_Chief

I could only get as far as when they wimped out with the lights.

Did they really put it in an oven?

3. The_Chief

VIP Member

No, they placed the phone directly against the lens of the light and let it cook awhile. Yeah, we all do that, right? I mean, who doesn't attach their phone to a 1000 watt lamp?

o_O

johnpjackson likes this.
  4. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Tru' that.

A kiln would have been ridiculous.

5. johnpjackson

johnpjackson Android Enthusiast

Exactly. The whole point is, despite the battery failures that have most certainly occurred, the Note 7 is not a ticking time bomb, or a bomb in any sense, at all. Shorted, melted, burst, burning batteries are a spectacular failure, yes. But that has never been the whole picture, and many people, including Samsung, have been rash in their reactions to it.

RaymondP likes this.
  6. The_Chief

VIP Member

Bg260 likes this.
  7. Wow, all I can do is wonder who is really in charge in South Korea. Samsung is their Bread and Butter. Probably a lot of stock holders with a "vested interest"!

mikedt and johnpjackson like this.
  8. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast

They will never figure out the problem because they sourced out too many batteries and assembly processes. They need to do it all themselves to track problems.

johnpjackson likes this.
  9. johnpjackson

I wonder what the calculated 'normal' failure rate was expected to be, and what the actual rate ended up being - at least as best as they could determine, anyway.

10. johnpjackson

11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I now read that their president could be facing impeachment.

South Korea's President Park 'willing to resign' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38140588

johnpjackson likes this.
  12. johnpjackson

I've been reading responses to this new report, in various places, and some agree with it, while others disagree, for several reasons. I'm still waiting to hear what Samsung says before anticipating possibly feeling like I have enough information to form my own conclusion about it all. I say possibly instead of definitely because I don't doubt for a second the possibility for Samsung to try and spin and/or distort, rather than go for simple and full disclosure. I think this third party analysis is a valuable piece to contribute to the total investigation, if for the very least, the basic details of the design and engineering it supplies, if not the conclusions it makes about them.

recDNA likes this.
  13. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

From the instrumental report ...

My theory is somewhat different.

Senior Engineer: Here are the minimum and maximum dimensions of the battery during testing. Please use the maximum dimension when designing the frame to hold it in place so we can keep the problems to a minimum.

Junior Engineer: Uh what? Use the minimum dimensions? Okay I guess you know what you're doing.

CNC programmer: Damn, these batteries are tight, but I guess these engineers know what they're doing.

;) :rolleyes:

johnpjackson likes this.
  14. johnpjackson

mikedt likes this.
  15. kennyroadshow

kennyroadshow Lurker

Bring on #note8...

dontpanicbobby and johnpjackson like this.
  16. johnpjackson

If you're been following along, you'll know that at least a dozen various tech rags have taken the unsolicited report from the engineering company (Instrumental) about the Note 7 battery fault cause and fanned it into a raging dumpster fire, in terms of making it sound like the cause of the problem has been officially pronounced. It seems kind of bizarre. And Samsung still remains silent.

17. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

And that is the shame of the internet. If there is no news to report, create it and itself becomes news about news that may or may not be news.

The_Chief and johnpjackson like this.
  18. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I heard the phone was too thin. Is that body shaming?

johnpjackson likes this.
  19. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast

mikedt likes this.
  20. mikedt

mikedt 你好

And IMO not admitting the flaw and stating exactly what went wrong with the Note7, could shake customer confidence in future Samsung devices, like S8.

johnpjackson likes this.
  21. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

So the word now is Samsung knows but they're not sharing the findings right away. I have to wonder, why not?

22. johnpjackson

I saw it mentioned somewhere that they have shared the results with some outside labs first, for vetting. I haven't dug for more details or confirmation. But, that would seem like a sensible enough thing for them to do, rather than keep repeating the same mistake of hanging onto all responsibility for their conclusions and rushing to action in response, rather than consulting around first, to try and confirm their findings and actions to take in response?

23. johnpjackson

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 release date was September 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8890 Octa processor, and 3500mAh battery.

September 2016
Release Date
Reviews