• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 9 (pie) quirks?

hey guys,
i still have my note 8.....I might upgrade to the note 10, but i want to see it first.

anyways, just curious if anybody have had theirs updated to Pie yet?

i just received my update last night. i have been playing around with it. It kind of screwed up how i had my launcher setup....as some of the short cuts were deleted or moved.

battery life is about the same. everything so far has been running smooth.

Upvote 0
Pie sucks for customization. Google disabled the ability for substrstum nor theme galaxy to work. So no customization options. Rooting is out of the question for me as Samfail bricked my phone 3 times and I've rooted 5 other devices. Does anyone know another rooting method?
i use nova prime launcher which is very customizable. its nothing like substratum, but it works for me.

Upvote 0
I've been using it since last June without that sort of thing.

Hopefully it's just a glitch caused by updating rather than the way Android 9 is on the Note 8 - Samsung took long enough to release it that they've really no excuse if it's buggy.

(Yeah, I can't bring myself to call it "Pie". Just sounds stupid, and to British ears isn't even a dessert :p)

Upvote 0

Hopefully it's just a glitch caused by updating rather than the way Android 9 is on the Note 8 - Samsung took long enough to release it that they've really no excuse if it's buggy.

(Yeah, I can't bring myself to call it 'Pie'. Just sounds stupid, and to British ears isn't even a dessert
stickouttongue.png
)

(Yeah, I can't bring myself to call it 'Pie'. Just sounds stupid, and to British ears isn't even a dessert
stickouttongue.png
)

I run my own business, I can't record calls, I hate the new ram management, silly icons.....

Upvote 0
Device manufacturers themselves can still include call recording, depending on country or region. I've got a Huawei with Pie, and that can record calls as standard. I've also got a UK version Galaxy S7, and that can't. But I've also seen China version Samsungs, and they can.

Google removed the api with Pie in the UK believing call recording to be illegal! In which case there are several massive institutions and others breaking the law with impunity.

Upvote 0
Google removed the api with Pie in the UK believing call recording to be illegal! In which case there are several massive institutions and others breaking the law with impunity.

I'm not a legal expert, but I believe call recording is legal in the UK, but both parties must be made aware of it. And that's why those massive installations, and companies etc, always start or answer with an announcement. Something like "This call maybe recorded for quality monitoring, training purposes, etc. And an app on a phone may not do that. Call recording on my Huawei and PRC variant Samsungs is completely silent.

Reactions: buck9262
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones