• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 8 help for an iPhone user

Apple does make it more cumbersome for those who need to manipulate their own music library, iTunes generally does not archive music files locally using their actual file names, the names get converted to a coded string of characters. They get converted on-the-fly when you're viewing them using iTunes so the names 'auto-magically' revert back to normal, and the same if you're specifically using the iTunes program to transfer them. But when you're just copying those files directly from the iTunes folder the names will all have those unique names. Best to use the source iTunes application to transfer your music library. There is supposedly ways to manually convert the internal iTunes conversion table, I believe it used to store them as an .xml database file but now it uses an .itl file. Of course when doing it manually if you've got a sizable music collection renaming each file back to it's original name is a lot of work.

Reactions: Ntfd206 and mikedt
Upvote 0
Apple does make it more cumbersome for those who need to manipulate their own music library, iTunes generally does not archive music files locally using their actual file names, the names get converted to a coded string of characters. They get converted on-the-fly when you're viewing them using iTunes so the names 'auto-magically' revert back to normal, and the same if you're specifically using the iTunes program to transfer them. But when you're just copying those files directly from the iTunes folder the names will all have those unique names. Best to use the source iTunes application to transfer your music library. There is supposedly ways to manually convert the internal iTunes conversion table, I believe it used to store them as an .xml database file but now it uses an .itl file. Of course when doing it manually if you've got a sizable music collection renaming each file back to it's original name is a lot of work.

Of course! Apple has to be "proprietary"... once you're in the walled garden, escape is difficult. Look at the iPhone X and the supposed wireless charging that is coming next year: it requires an APPLE wireless charger! Good grief, we can grab any QI-compatible charger off eBay or Amazon and charge our phones! I guess Tim Cook needs a different private jet for every day of the week...

Reactions: Ntfd206
Upvote 0
Hey everyone I just switched from iPhone 7+ and love the note 8. I had android many yrs ago but I need some help. What is the easy way to get the music from my iphone/iTunes to my note 8 and how do I transfer stuff from my wife phone through s beam. She has the LG v20 and we set everything up but we can't seem to send each other stuff. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Hey everyone I just switched from iPhone 7+ and love the note 8. I had android many yrs ago but I need some help. What is the easy way to get the music from my iphone/iTunes to my note 8 and how do I transfer stuff from my wife phone through s beam. She has the LG v20 and we set everything up but we can't seem to send each other stuff. Thanks again

S Beam only works for Samsung to Samsung. You'd need a generic NFC connection. Or WiFi direct.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Actually, I may only have the contents of my iphone4s Notes and maybe safari bookmarks to transfer to the N8?
What is simplest way?
Can you use the SmartSwitch via wifi (if you can download SmartSwitch to old iphone 4s)? Or other way?

I want to transfer a very few items from my olde iPhone4s to new Note 8.
Items are just my iPhone Notes, and Safari internet bookmarks.
What is best way? Including if suggested transfer apps are compatible with olde iPhone 4s.
Can this be done over wifi?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can someone give me a detailed step-by-step instruction for how to transfer notes within my old iPhone4s Notes app to my new N8 Samsung notes app?
I have about sixty notes and they are also backed up to the iCloud, so prefer not sixty emails and copy/pastes.
I may have asked a general version of this question before, but I'm still stuck. SmartSwitch does not install on the iPhone4s.
Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Leob ,

My friend. you are not the first person to switch from iphone to android. there has to be a way to get your notes synced over.

i JUST did a cursory search over the internet to attempt to help you.

do you use an app called notability? well you can use that with icloud to get the notes to your MAC (I ASSUme you have a mac).

perhaps notability can transfer the notes to gogoles note app (google keep) or another android app.

you should start your search by inputting " transfer iphone notes to android". I am sure you will get some hits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones