• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 8 to s21U

Teris

May 5, 2010
Here's some quick thoughts. I'll admit, I love me Note 8, so this will be a bit critical of the s21U.

1. This phone is HEAVY. I'm okay with it, but it will take some getting used to.
2. The lack of push button start from off position is frustrating for me. It's awesome on the Note 8 and I assumed they did that on all flagship phones. [UPDATE: I use Nova, but if you use the stock launcher, there's the double tap to turn the phone on and off, which is as good or better than the Note 8 setting]
3. The camera pop out makes the phone wobble when on a flat surface. Annoying, but I'm hoping a good case will level it out.
4. Beautiful screen, lots of real estate.
5. I don't like the little seam around the glass edge, but a case will likely hide that, too.
6. The fingerprint reader is awesome.
7. No SD card sucks.
8. Setting the side button to Bixby was dumb, but easy enough to change.
9. I use Nova Launcher, but the stock launcher is much better than on the Note 8. Lots of improvements in the gestures especially.
10. I read that the phone comes with a screen protector, but I'm 99% sure mine does not have one.
11. Live caption is awesome.
12. I prefer volume on one side and power on the other, but I'll get used to it.
13. Spam protection has been disabled on my s21U (Verizon in US). Ugh.
Edited to add:
14. The speakers are a million times better than the Note 8. Very impressive!

I haven't made any calls yet, so can't speak to call/voice quality.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones