• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 8 won't connect to wifi (IoT) smart devices

dhenke1690

Lurker
May 11, 2018
When buying smart devices and trying to set them up with my Note 8 it will not work. The Note 8 will connect to the smart device's wifi but will say it doesn't have internet which makes since but the devices never see my phone and wont allow me to continue with set up. This has happen with the TP-Link smart plug (3 of them), a LIFX light bulb and a Canon 80D. I had to use my wife's iphone 6s to complete the set up and get these devices connected to my home wifi.
The Note 8 will connect to wifi networks that have internet without a problem. Its just when I try to connect to a network without wifi that it won't work. Super Annoying and hoping someone can tell me how to fix this.

I don't have a smart things hub. I attempt to use the devices app on my note 8 but they never work so I have to use their app on the iPhone. After that I can use my note 8 to control the devices because they are connected to my home WiFi which has internet.

I don't believe its an issue with the devices or their apps. Something is going on where my phone won't fully connect or pass local data, intranet, with a network that doesn't have internet. I've had some problems getting it connect to public networks that require a terms agreement but finally been able to get that to work.

Just sucks because I just switched from iPhone to Android and I have this super advanced phone and it won't even do this simple task of setting up smart devices. I'm just glad I have an iPhone to do it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
you are used to iphone. got it.

android is a different alley and there is a learning curve.

the phone most likely is doing its job. its possible you are missing a step.

when the phone is telling you it has no internet, thats is normal and nothing to be concerned with. you may have your phone setup in that once it does not see an internet c9nnection , it will default back to the last known connection.

examples:

i have zero issues connecting the note 8 to a number of smart devices i have around my home. I even have a washer/dryer (LG) that has wifi and i used the note 8 to set it up using the appliance wifi network.

i have also used the note 8 to configure a VISLINK wireless camera (I work in television/film) transmitter, a belkin wemo light switch and power plug, among many other things.

it just looks like you are missing a step, or waiting too long and the phone is disconnecting and reconnecting back to the last known wifi network. I have seen this happen once or twice over the years on previous devices, so I understand your angst. without having the phone to physically set up, its going to be difficult for anyone to actually give you detailed steps--unless someone happens to have a product you have that we can test.

just for grins,

what is your carrier?
are you on OREO (latest update)?
are you using any 3rd party web browser to setup these product with?
do you know what "developer options" setting is on android? if not, then no worries. reason I ask is if you have enabled something in there, it could be interfering with these connections.

ooh, by the by, ive a sony Alpha A99II DSLR camera and it has nfc and wifi. I am able to connect to the sony camera with no issues.

lastly, don't use "smartthings" app (or whatever it is) on the note 8. just use the manual way-- open up your appliance, then open up wifi on your phone and select the appliance wifi network.

Upvote 0
Im on Android 8.0.0
I have USB debugging enable from developer setting.

I have Canon 80D and it has the NFC as well but it wouldn't connect because it still uses wifi just NFC to set up the connection.

I'm an engineer and dabble in programming. So I'm not an normal iSheep that doesn't know how to use technology.

I can't find a setting that says to revert to previous connection if there is no internet connection. But I would love to find that because that sounds like it may be the problem.

90% of the time I use the default Samsung internet but I have chrome and Firefox installed. (Had to use them to connect to hotel WiFi because the Samsung internet wouldn't bring up the login page)

And I have AT&T

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
i know words on a forum can come off as harsh, but I assure you I am not calling you any "i" anything.

its a fact that there is a learning curve when one leaves apple to android. i don't know your level of knowledge of android so I have to assume you don't know much until proven otherwise.

no disrespect intended. :p

there is not any "setting" per se to keep the phone from reverting back to its last known wifi state.

if you have any aggressive battery saving setup enabled on the phone, this may interfere, so if you have any such protocols to save battery or kill off background processes, revert the settings back to factory or disable any such settings.

i think if you dont use the smartthings app and just follow the directions on the product you are trying to connect to, you should have success. there's thousands of note 8 out in the wild and many of those are able to connect to smart devices just fine (myself included).

some products may not like the 5ghz band, so make sure you are on the same network.

close out any background apps--there could be some app you have installed trying to call out to the internet whilst you are doing this setup. normally you do NOT need to close any background apps on android because the system is VERY VERY good at managing system resources, but for purposes of this, close them all out.

perhaps even do a flush of your phones cache (from power off, hold power+bixby button+up vol button) and look for the cache setting. if you're not familiar with how to do this, you can find it quickly by an internet search. be careful you dont tick factory reset or anything else.

if you can't find this procedure ill link you to it.

perhaps also disable/turn off debug during these setups.

under dev options in the network section, enable all the settings in there. i have all of those enabled because I use the note in in its max state, so keeping these enabled may help during the setup. you can revert back to disabling them if that's how they normally are.

Upvote 0
I apologize if this sounds crazy but I really do mean it when I say that some smart devices require you to turn off your data to set them up with any android phone. I have ihomeaudio smartplugs. No hub necessary for these little guys but to connect them through your device you actually have to turn off your data on your phone first. Then you can proceed to setting them up and the process works like a charm. Once they are connected you can turn your data back on and everything moves forward.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones