• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
There is no way to move apps to SD card. Google removed this feature from ICS+. The only way around it is to root and use directory bind. This makes the device think your external SD card is the internal storage and the internal storage as an external SD card.

Nothing at the moment if you are running non-rooted stock ROM. Or if the developer of the app adds external storage support.

Upvote 0
Ok. Not trying to hi jack the thread but if l root my note 8 what is needed after rooting to get the note to allow moving the apps to the sd card?

I want more games on mine but cant as it has such limited storage capacity. 9gbs is just not enough. I wouldn't have to do this If they would offer a 32 and 64gb version.

As far as I understand it, it's not currently possible to do it on the Note 8. There were talks of Samsung releasing a software update for the Galaxy S4, that would allow that to happen, but not sure if it went through.

The only solution, as far as I understand it, is to root the phone and then there is a hack that basically switches the system to where it identifies the microSD card as the internal storage and vice versa. That, in essence, would allow you to have more storage space (assuming one has a higher capacity microSD card).

Upvote 0
In case anyone is still following this thread I can tell you that Samsung Jelly Bean (4.2) and up has restored the capability to run most apps from the SD card. (This is a Samsung-only Touch Wiz mod - so time to apologize to Touch Wiz for all the things you don't like about it!) There is an app called "App2SD" (think it might have a new name too but you can find it typing App2SD in Google Play) which shows you all the apps you have that can be moved to the SD and enables you to do so in batch mode. There are a few apps that have some performance problems when you move them, but they are few and far between and easy to fix by moving them back to the device

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones