• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note10 Bricked After Update - No recovery

BrianCa

Lurker
Jul 4, 2019
Hi,

I'm just trying to fix a phone on a friends behalf.

They had rooted their phone and since an Android update the phone is now bricked. samsung ringtones

By holding Vol up + power, i get a warning advising that the bootloader is unlocked but it never enters recovery mode - it then just sits at the "Samsung Galaxy Note10 Powered by android" bootscreen.
If i hold Vol Down + power it will reboot the phone as it should, but still i cannot enter recovery mode.

Does anyone know if there is a way around entering recovery/download mode without having the open the phone up?
Note 10 ringtones: https://phoneringtones.info/samsung-galaxy-note-10-pro-cluster-12830.html
Thanks

Last edited:
It seems really stupid to me that they ask you to go through recovery to get to download mode, since recovery is more likely to be changed by an update than the bootloader and hence more vulnerable to corruption, and if that happens you need to get into download mode to fix it. So by making this choice they've made it more likely that a phone will be bricked/harder to fix it (it's also true that recovery is more likely to be damaged by someone rooting, but as they actively try to prevent you doing that I doubt that is a concern for them).

I don't know recent Samsungs, so probably can't help with getting into it. But for clarification what do you mean by "Vol Down + power will reboot the phone as it should"? Since you describe the phone as "bricked" I assume that this does not mean that it reboots as expected (either into Android or Download mode). And maybe for complete clarify, what model Note 10 is this (or which country was it bought from), since there are different models with very different hardware and software.

A little web searching did turn up a utility that claims to be able to force a Samsung into Download mode. I have no idea whether that works with the Note 10, or whether the phone has to be in a particular state for it to work (which could be a problem if so).

Your friend probably knows by now that accepting OTA updates on a rooted phone is a risky business (best case it won't update, second best it simply unroots the phone, but as a modified phone is not in the state the update is designed for other outcomes are possible).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones