1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Note4 vs. Nexus 6?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kathayes, Oct 16, 2014.

1. kathayes

kathayes Well-Known Member

Anyone here considering the Nexus 6? I have a Note3 and a Note4 on preorder, however, I like the larger screen on the Nexus 6, the idea of pure Android, and the loud speakers in the Nexus 6. The other specs seem similar, screen quality, processor, etc.

Thoughts?

2. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

No sd slot and even bigger. Nope.

3. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

Same for me - no SD card, will never buy it. Otherwise is would be a contender. Still don't think it would be the phone I'd go with even with an SD card but being a Nexus device would be a big plus.

4. rushmore

Yep. IMO, Samsung bloat and three month longer waits for updates (that I do not do anyway) with an SD slot are the least of the evils.

Even 32GB is too small considering Qhd apps take up more space and Lollipop takes 20% more storage due to the file compression changes. With Lollipop and Qhd, 32GB is the new 16GB.

Well, that and I prefer a buttons over a navigation bar.

5. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

I am really surprised how the size jumped on the Nexus. I think they went too big too quick. I like how Samsung is moving the screen size up slowly. To me the Nexus is just boring. But I know others find plain Android better for them.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Its entirely possible they keep selling the nexus 5 along side it. Its still fast as ever

7. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

I read somewhere that they might keep selling it also. If the price on the nexus 5 does go down I might pick one up just to see what all the hype is about. I have a Nexus 7 and I am not too impressed with it.

8. zipred

zipred Android Expert

The Nexus 6 is so close to being my perfect smartphone, I'm very excited to order one. I've done long term first hand testing and evaluation of every display size offered, including my 6.1" Ascend Mate 2.

Despite some very biased writing calling the Nexus 6 "A Giant Phablet" even while comparing it to the iPhone 6 Plus that's never been called a phablet, or giant, when one reads carefully Apple gets very favourable treatment. That said, the dimensions are extremely close.

For your reference:

6.0" display 159.2 x 82.9 x 10.0 - Nexus 6
    5.5"________ 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.10 - iPhone 6+
    5.7"________ 153.5 x 78.6 x 8.50 - Note 4
    5.5"________ 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.90 - OnePlus 1
    5.5"________ 146.3 x 74.6 x 8.90 - LG G3

My preferences and needs aside, I do understand that for a vast majority it's simply too large. That's the beauty of Android, there's lots of exemplary choices.

9. R=G

R=G Well-Known Member

My whole smart phone experience started with the Nexus One. I will always respect the pure Android line of phones. It's top notch on that side. But no SD CARD? Never. I got too many travels and too may inbetween situations to lack up now.

10. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Android Enthusiast

Nope, happy with my Note 4.

The Nexus 6 lack of MicroSD and smaller sensor Camera are part of why I am not interested. The SPen is also a major factor that had me waiting for the Note 4 for so long.

11. kathayes

kathayes Well-Known Member

Does it have a smaller sensor camera for sure?

12. timelord65

timelord65 Android Enthusiast

The Nexus line always shave POS camera's, until this changes I'll pass on the Nexus6.
    I mean sure the Nexus line used to be cheap and great for developing. If their now charging "flagship" prices, the camera better not be another fail.

13. GPtimes2

GPtimes2 Lurker

The nexus 6 has an aperture size f/2.0 and the note 4 has a f/2.2. The smaller the # the bigger the opening, so the nexus should gather more light. I would hold off till reviews (if camera is a big deal to you) because it may have a better camera, almost assuredly in low light. Hope this helps.

14. rushmore

Nexus 6 apparently is not the phone for camera fans. Average results.

15. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

Every year I want a Nexus , but they're just not for me.

I need the replaceable battery. And I can't see going any biggie than 5'7.

As of yesterday , I'm a new Note 4 owner

16. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast

Howdy gang...

Almost don't want to ask this. But -

I was reading up on the new nexus 6 yesterday, and now I am on the fence. I have been wanting a Note for a long time, almost bought a N3 earlier this year. I really like a lot of what I hear about the Note line.

Now the Nexus comes along. Motorola built (plus), Vanilla Android (Plus) Unlocked Bootloader (Plus), plus a few other nice things (like the front facing speakers) Internally/performance, the specs seem very similar to the Note 4. N4 has replaceable battery (plus) SD slot (plus) Stylus (plus), and is a bit smaller (plus).

One big negative for Samsung is slow updates, and when they roll out, bad things seem to happen. My GS3 will now no longer make calls from inside most buildings, thanks to the latest 4.4.2 update, and thanks to a locked bootloader, I can't go back to a ROM that works. Seems I read the N3 also had issues with one of the recent updates.

So, what to do, what to do.. Anyone else on this fence?

17. I am as well but did wound up getting a VZ Note 4. VZ is so SLOW with new phones especially the Nexus 6 being a Google phone who knows how long before they actually release the VZ edition. I know you get get it on the Play Store but I am not dropping $649. It does look to be a beast though. I do like the fact that it would get Android updates quickly.

18. Githyanki

Githyanki Lurker

You can negate the locked boot loader problem on the Note 4 by buying through T-Mobile, or Amazon.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Member

I won't get a Nexus device for 2 reasons.

1. Can't expand storage
    2. Can't replace battery. I trickle down my phones and sometimes need this to revitalize a phone I am giving to a family member down the line. Yea, all the new phones go to me. :)

20. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast

Stuck with Verizon. Also really don't want to pay full price for an unlocked phone. As Franklen said - When the Big Red will release the phone is anyone's guess. I was on a customer chat with Verizon yesterday, and they had no clue about the N6, even about the pre-order date - which Google says is Oct. 29. Just "It is not in our system yet, would you like to buy a case for your old phone? :rolleyes:

21. Blue218

Blue218 Android Enthusiast

I'm using a Note 2 now.....and I love it but I never use the stylus. So I was fast heading to a Note 4...or maybe downsize to and Alpha or the Droid Turbo....but now here comes the Nexus 6 to Verizon. Decisions Decisions...[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I had the Gnex on Verizon and it was HORRIBLE....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So do I risk the N6 or go Note 4? Or....

22. Torrid

Torrid Android Enthusiast

I am on a slightly different fence: The Edge or the N6. I am also with Verizon, so your guess is as good as mine as to when we will see either phone on Big Red. And that always ticks me off.

23. Scorpio001

Scorpio001 Newbie

I'm into my 2.5 years of using Note 2 LTE (international).

Should I upgrade to Note 4 (international) 32GB or Nexus 6 64GB?

The thing with the Note 4, I'm just worried about the actual usable space left, TW bloatware slowing down the overall performance and speed of updates from Google to my handset.

Thoughts? How many are switching from Note 2 to Nexus 6?

Cheers.

24. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

I think it all depends on how much you use the S-pen. The Note can take up to a 128GB card (maybe a 256, but that's not made yet) so space should not be an issue for a LONG time. Nexus 6 is a fine phone: but I am accustomed to the Action Memo and other benefits of the S-pen. If I woke up in your shoes, and knowing the S-pen advances from Note 2 to now, I'd have to get the Note 4. As far as TW bloat, why not try an alternative launcher like Apex or Nova? I use Apex Pro and have for years. Love it.

25. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

I agree with T_C, if you use the pen a lot then you'll likely want to stick with the Note series. Or if you love TW, you probably don't want to go Nexus.
    If neither of those things are true, then you do have a quandary, that really no one can answer for you, since it boils down to personal preference and in this case you're the only person who's preference matters.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews