• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Notes from the frontlines...(my conversation with LG about the bootloader)

This is what I meant about harassing people. I'm not a dev but it's not like we are hacking into fort Knox. A few other threads here have promise. Morning call is one of them., Instead of getting mad at LG, let's find a solution we can be proud of.

Edit:thank you typo fairy.

Good luck guys

yeah, but it doesn't hurt to ask them for a tool that does it legit, like motorola and htc....and this is how Motorola and HTC unlock tools got started...by people asking repeatedly...not harassing but being persistent, there is a fine line there i know...but DDos and whatnot is a little far...and pretty f**ked up to do to a company that we're asking for help...

yes those threads have potential, just as this one does too, eventually something will happen...

Reactions: LoopyD
Upvote 0
Lets all agree to disagree on issue and move on, there are private ways to deal with issues. Thanks for understanding and please keep this thread on topic. Lets do as LoopyD mentioned, lets come up with a solution, instead of attacking.

Upvote 0
The idea is that lg wont give us a bootloader because we are talking to the wrong people. When you contact tech services they are there to help you out with something wrong with the way the phone functions, they have hand guides for that situation, but they dont have the first-hand knowledge to program the clock on a vcr... we want someone who had a hand in programming the phone, not someone who's most prophetic advice was "factory reset"

Reactions: twogbsd
Upvote 0
So i also emailed LG, here its the message i sent them, to two different email addresses, and the replies i received:

My message:
Good morning,

I am writing to you this morning in regards to an Android handset that i recently purchased, the lg motion ms770. I love the phone and its features, and especially its price. That being said, i am very disappointed. Before shipping the phone, you seem to have locked the boot loader.
I am not sure if this was accidental or intentional, but i think you guys are missing the point of using a phone with an open source operating system. In the true spirit of what open source is, the boot loader on this device needs to be unlocked through some unlocking tool provided to the end users by LG or through a set of steps that are easily followed by anyone who purchased this device.

The reason people choose Android over the iPhone is customizing, plain and simple. If we wanted to purchase phones that were locked, we would have bought iPhones, but we didn't, we bought an Android phone created by LG, because that is what we wanted. Do the right thing, like Motorola and HTC before you: release a tool that gives us, the users, full and unhindered access to the boot loader.

What you couldn't possibly understand yet but will eventually, is that your locked bootloader will eventually result in thousands of smart phone consumers switching from LG devices to other phone manufacturers with comments like "Why would I sick with LG? I can't customize on account of the locked bootloader." being spouted by each of them.

Do what is right, do what makes sense, allow us to customize, and unlock your bootloader.

Sincerely,
My name here ;-)

Reply #1:

Date: 1/1/2013 7:22 PM
To: frrrrrrunkis;
Subject: Re : LG MS770

Dear Mario,

Thank you for your interest in LG mobile phone.
Currently we are considering methods and target models for bootloader unlock to allow customers to install a custom OS (Operating System).
We are looking for efficient and safe methods to support it, and the target model will be selected after careful consideration. (e.g. technical barrier such as platform limitation and/or mobile carrier

Upvote 0
Joe: Hello. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
me: Hello Joe. A lot of us (your customers) are looking to develop our own software and android operating systems for your phone, the LG Motion 4g. The problem is, your bootloader is locked, so we can not put anything we make on the phone. I am requesting that either a tool to unlock the bootloader or the key used to sign your software is released, so we can create our own android versions for this phone, the LG Motion 4G.
Joe: I am sorry to hear about this.
Joe: I would be happy to help you with that.
Joe: Okay, this is actually handled on a different department level, let me guide you to the proper place.
me: OK, thank you
Joe: you are welcome
Joe: Please go into Open Source Main , select 'Mobile phone" in category and then type MS770 in model name and click 'search
Joe: Then click on the LGMS770 link
Joe: And press the 'request for inquiry' button. From here you can make a formal request for the software so the technicians in charge can consider releasing a version with the Bootloader unlocked
me: Hmm, thank you for your assistance,
Joe: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
me: There is one other thing, is there any way I can contact your tech department or developers directly?
Joe: Unfortunately no. The only way would be through the 'request for inquiry', regarding the software.

Upvote 0
So i also emailed LG, here its the message i sent them, to two different email addresses, and the replies i received:

My message:
Good morning,

I am writing to you this morning in regards to an Android handset that i recently purchased, the lg motion ms770. I love the phone and its features, and especially its price. That being said, i am very disappointed. Before shipping the phone, you seem to have locked the boot loader.
I am not sure if this was accidental or intentional, but i think you guys are missing the point of using a phone with an open source operating system. In the true spirit of what open source is, the boot loader on this device needs to be unlocked through some unlocking tool provided to the end users by LG or through a set of steps that are easily followed by anyone who purchased this device.

The reason people choose Android over the iPhone is customizing, plain and simple. If we wanted to purchase phones that were locked, we would have bought iPhones, but we didn't, we bought an Android phone created by LG, because that is what we wanted. Do the right thing, like Motorola and HTC before you: release a tool that gives us, the users, full and unhindered access to the boot loader.

What you couldn't possibly understand yet but will eventually, is that your locked bootloader will eventually result in thousands of smart phone consumers switching from LG devices to other phone manufacturers with comments like "Why would I sick with LG? I can't customize on account of the locked bootloader." being spouted by each of them.

Do what is right, do what makes sense, allow us to customize, and unlock your bootloader.

Sincerely,
My name here ;-)

Reply #1:

Date: 1/1/2013 7:22 PM
To: frrrrrrunkis;
Subject: Re : LG MS770

Dear Mario,

Thank you for your interest in LG mobile phone.
Currently we are considering methods and target models for bootloader unlock to allow customers to install a custom OS (Operating System).
We are looking for efficient and safe methods to support it, and the target model will be selected after careful consideration. (e.g. technical barrier such as platform limitation and/or mobile carrier

Upvote 0
me: Hello Joe. A lot of us (your customers) are looking to develop our own software and android operating systems for your phone, the LG Motion 4g. The problem is, your bootloader is locked, so we can not put anything we make on the phone. I am requesting that either a tool to unlock the bootloader or the key used to sign your software is released, so we can create our own android versions for this phone, the LG Motion 4G.
Joe: Please go into Open Source Main , select 'Mobile phone" in category and then type MS770 in model name and click 'search
Joe: Then click on the LGMS770 link
Joe: And press the 'request for inquiry' button. From here you can make a formal request for the software so the technicians in charge can consider releasing a version with the Bootloader unlocked
me: Hmm, thank you for your assistance,

This would me amazing. The requests are fairly simple; I was the one who requested the Version D Update. They responded saying it would take about 2 days... then about 30 hours later they responded saying it was posted.

Upvote 0
There is already an unlock took available for one of the optimus models.. I can't believe no one talks about convincing that dev to take a look at the motion and possibly try to port it over to our device

The optimus g? Project freegee? Tried it, talked to some people about it, completely different, won't work. They just took the bootloader from one of the Nexus's which happened to be really close to it, and flashed it to their phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones