• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nothing can be so perfect

crolmac

Lurker
Dec 2, 2010
Hello people from android. I have a nokia 5800, which I like a hell of a lot for the reason that it has great(for a phone) music reproduction as It has 2 loudspeakers and does not sound tinny when I play it while I work.sans earphones.
I have not been especially impressed with htcs and such that I have tried in stores, music reproduction-wise, but I am having cravings for an android phone (my son has a mini x10. I am impressed except for bluetooth , which sucks on this phone, and the fact that as an android phone, you need windows on you computer to just transfer music!!).
My question is: if I want to use the phone, I cannot need all the time the internet connection, as in my area it is prohibitively expensive.(I usually use wi-fi when I can get it). what's the deal with these phones, in this sense?
My other question is: what is the downside of owning these phones? they are very expensive and I want to be sure that I am not doing something stupid. Everybody seems to say how great they all are, and not how bad they can be. This is often more important than the good side
Thanks to all and any who feel like answering, take care

I just got a htc hero a couple of months ago as it is one of the few android phones offered in my area.

After about a month of use I am loving it. The only downside I have found is the lack of games for this. I am an iphone convert and the lack of quality feel games is a drawback for myself.

I also am unsure of wifi usage as my cell providers give me unlimited web browsing for a flat rate so I rarely use my wifi abilitys.

Upvote 0
I'm only really going to mention the bad as you seem to have already seen all the good, and I've only used a Desire HD by the way.

I used to have a 5800, and you will not be happy with the sound if you get any of the thin HTC's (Wildfire, Desire, Desire HD, etc...). Don't get me wrong, my Desire HD is a 5800 but better in every way, except the sound quality of the loud speaker. Using headphones though is very good.

The other massive downside is the battery. I get about 20 hours from a full charge, and I think the normal Desire gets about 2.5 days, which is rubbish compared to the 5 days I would get with the 5800.

The Android software is very good, and is more or less the same on all the phones, but the more you spend on the phone, the more you get to run the software (for example, the Wildfire has a 528mhz processor whereas the Desire HD has a 1000mhz processor).

I would say get yourself an Android. You won't regret it (too much)

Upvote 0
What do you mean by that question? Bluetooth is bluetooth. Most devices that I've seen support A2DP.

My other question is: what is the downside of owning these phones?
Depends on who you ask as pros and cons can be subjective. As mentioned above, battery life is an issue with most Androids (as well as other smartphones) but there are threads and guides for looking into your specific usage and how to deal with battery hogs. There's always some sort of tradeoff though. My BB 8310 was more stable and had much better battery life but it was significantly less versatile than my Droid is. I wouldn't trade back for the few advantages that the BB had IMO. YMMV, of course regarding your current device and whatever Android device you might switch to.

My question is: if I want to use the phone, I cannot need all the time the internet connection, as in my area it is prohibitively expensive.(I usually use wi-fi when I can get it). what's the deal with these phones, in this sense?
You can use WiFi when available.

I am impressed except for bluetooth , which sucks on this phone, and the fact that as an android phone, you need windows on you computer to just transfer music!!
No, Mac users can transfer music just fine. I'm guessing you're saying that you need a computer to transfer music. Bluetooth should work. Did he ever download the BT transfer app? I think even without it you can share files via BT. I'm not totally certain as I sync via USB. I have too much music to transfer via BT.

Everybody seems to say how great they all are, and not how bad they can be.
Really? Every Android forum site I hit is chock full of threads with people having issues and problems (like any forum site). You might to spend more time browsing the forums -- especially those specific to the models that you're considering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones