1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nothing on search: PDF

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by chknhwk, Apr 10, 2011.

1. chknhwk

chknhwk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    For some reason my search of 'pdf' showed nothing yet on the first page there was a thread dedicated to pdf's. :thinking: I can't really go through every page of threads so I'm just going to ask: Is there an app that will allow me to unlock protected pdf files? I attend school online and our textbooks have to be downloaded and more times than not the chapters are password protected. Is there any way I can get around this so I can load my chapters and read while I'm on the road? Doing my homework on the road is really the only reason I bought the Viewsonic Gtab. I was about ready to buy an Ipad but after seeing the cost/specs on the Gtab I decided to go this route and I'm hoping I'm not going to regret it. The Ipad did everything I needed it to but I didn't want to pay the Apple tax. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    With RepliGo Reader, I can read password protected pdf files.

EDIT: Ok, I tried my others:
    Adobe Reader: No
    Aldiko: Yes
    Documents To Go: Yes

Harry

3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Yes, the search tool doesnt work well with short phrases. I find it MUCH better with this, and any other forum, to go to google and search the site. For example, search "pdf site:androidforums.com" without the quotes.

As for your question, I would recommend Documents To GO or Quick Office. I'm not sure about unlocking pdf's, but both of those are the best office type apps out there, so I'm sure they will be able to.

4. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    Aldiko does NOT work for opening password protected pdf files on my device. Can you please tell me how you are managing to be able to open them?
    The free version of Documents to Go does NOT allow me to open pdf files, I don't want to pay for the pro unless I KNOW it will allow me to do this - same for Quick Office Pro.

5. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    Adobe reader does not open password protected files.
    Aldiko did not open the files, either.
    I purchased RepliGo Reader and that also did not open the file.
    I have had no luck with Documents to Go working (Pro version).

Any other ideas? Anybody? Here's your chance to prevent me from selling this and going out to get an Ipad...

6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't know if there's one for the phone, but there are PDF DRM removing apps for the PC. Whether or not it will use your school's - I have no idea. You might have to find one of those, remove the DRM and put the file back on your device. Or ask your school. Maybe you can download a week's worth there, and then transfer over. There are different flavors of PDF. Adobe has had a PDF file to save to in Photoshop for years, but I'll be damned if anything else but Adobe could parse it. You couldn't even get it into Illustrator, which does edit almost any non-drm PDF.

How and where do you download on the computer? Do you use a special address or need a special browser? My daughter had to use IE, and had a special code to enter to use the online services at university.

The only other way I can think of - is take print screen shots of the page, and hook them together as a jpg.

7. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    I think I need to do a little more research on what this DRM is you speak of. I'll have to take a look. I could post a file here but I don't know if it would do any good...
    I do not need a special browser or anything like that, I just download them straight from University of Phoenix via Firefox.

8. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    I spoke of password protected PDF files in my post above, this kind of PDF files when the Adobe Acrobat was used to protect a PDF document with a password.
    RepliGo Reader, Aldiko and DocsToGo can read this kind of PDF documents.

I think, what you want to read are DRM PDFs. This kind of protection which is also used with DRM PDF eBooks.

EDIT: With Aldiko Premium you could have a look for DRM at this ....
    http://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/368907-authorize-device-with-an-adobe-id

Harry

9. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    I tried all of these but none of them worked - pro and free versions. The problem seems to be that I can't input text into the username and password fields to unlock them - is this a special type of drm? I did the adobe profile also but that also did not help.

10. penncand

penncand Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    I also have DRM supported books that are protected. I have not found anything that works currently, but have had luck entering my user name and password into ezPDF reader. When I first downloaded this reader I could not enter anything butnow it allows me to enter text. I still can not hit the log in button. I have had this tablet since May and am hopeful it will be fixed. If anyone is wondering the PDF say they are Protected PDFs. The site creating these is Protectedpdf | PDF Protection & Control | PDF DRM & Security

I know these are different from standard password PDF, but have not been able to get DRM supported readers to work. Alkido says it does but not in the free version. Mantano and a few others offer this support as well but it does not work in the free nor state this is a paid feature.

For those wondering what we are experiencing, it is a normal PDF file but when you open it you have to login first. Since these files must be downloaded the webpage support offered in readers like ezPDF does work.

I have emailed the school support for suggestions but have more faith in the community here. If they do respond I will post their message.

Thanks in advance!

11. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    Luckily enough the last two classes I've taken have not had drm protected pdfs! I've been able to use my tablet with no problems. It's awesome being able to take my books with me everywhere.