1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support NOTHING works on this phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by killyou420, Jul 10, 2011.

1. killyou420

killyou420 Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    I just got this phone a day ago in the mail (purchased from newegg), after getting a two day run around from both verizon and sprint, i finally got my number ported and the phone activated...and that was the start of my problems. First off NOTHING is working as it should, the WIFI wont connect 90% of the time, it cycles between scanning,connecting, and disconnecting ( No its not my router, and i even tried to reset it to no avail), and when it does connect its a gamble if it will even work, most of the time it works slow as shit then totally stops responding (even with full wifi bars). The browser and the market have a roughly 5% success rate of even loading let alone downloading apps. Most apps get to like 20% then hang until i restart the phone. It took me around an hour to finally get the speedtest.net mobile app, and even if wifi is active it cant complete a single test. Just about anything with internet gives me a "Network error"
    or im told to endlessly press retry until im forced to close the app

I checked with that sprint app thing and it tells me the network is not responding, then tells me i have PRL and profile updates, but they NEVER apply, ive downloaded each around 20 times and it still tells me i need to update.The signal on this phone is the worst ive ever seen on a cell phone, ive traveled around TWO towns today and ive yet to see 3 bars, 80% of the time its Zero, For some reason the phone needs to "roam" at my house... I cant seem to get netflix past the login screen(nonstop errors). Also the battery drains in about 2 hours of non use, i know the battry is bad but they would NOT have made a phone that dies that fast idle

Seriously this is just the worst piece of shit ive ever had the misfortune of purchasing, its ten times slower than the broken DROID i was replacing. Im really hoping i just got a faulty phone or sprint can take their shitty service back

Anybody have these problems/heard of them, or better yet know a fix for them?

*Note* Its currently running 2.2(wolnt allow me to update to 2.3), the kernal is 2.6.32.17, the PLR is 60679, the phone is FULLY stock and non rooted.

Advertisement

2. killyou420

killyou420 Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Also the Sprint zone diagnostic is also telling me a profile update is available, i clicked update, waited 10 minutes untill it said its done, then checked again to see if it was all good and it looks as if it never applied, and now it just hangs while im told "The network is preparing your services"

3. killyou420

killyou420 Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Wow everyone is so helpful, glad i decided to look for help here.... **** this im going to a sprint store and raising hell untill they give me a new phone

4. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    Well if your phone is that dysfunctional as you claim, then taking it to a sprint repair center should be your first choice. It's one thing to ask for help and by the way this forum is great at helping other but to be rude about it for only your first couple post no wonder a helping hand hasn't help you. Now I would suggest you update your phone, do a soft reset and if your phone is still not working, take it to sprint.

KENNECTED and onpointG35 like this.
  5. Arms_Reach

Arms_Reach Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    Virginia, USA
    I'd be frustrated too. Sounds like you got a dud. The EVO is a kick ass phone with few flaws. I'd recommend to anyone on Sprint.

Get yourself a replacement, and sorry about your luck.

6. lesawag

lesawag Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Maintaining peace in my world
    Austin Texas
    Take it back to sprint. Ive had my evo since November and have not had any of these problems.

7. killyou420

killyou420 Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    The sprint store did a coded reset then updated it to gingerbread, their guess was it was a referb that was rooted. I still get a few hiccups like constant notification sounds and intermittent Wifi that can be anywhere between 8Mbps to non existent with no real rhyme or reason,I need to be within 4 feet and physically see the router for it to connect, and Im still getting the annoying "network errors".

I called sprint and made a stink about being a new customer and all the problems, I got one of those home tower things, cant remember what they are called. For free, so i think i can suck it up until that thing gets here. Even if after that its still bad, im within the 30 day trial period for both sprint and newegg.com, so i can return it with just a 20 dollar restocking fee. Gatta say its nice having the upper hand on a contract and not getting raped for once lol.

When the phone is working i ****ing LOVE it, its like my droid 1 on a speed ball. I don't think ill be able to use a small screen again

8. lesawag

None

Nov 16, 2010
    Austin Texas
    If you don't want notification sounds, turn them off. They drove me nuts at first, so I turned them all off, except for text messages. Much better. Lol. If you don't see an improvement with your evo, you are under 30 days, get a new one. Don't put up with constant errors etc. Your evo should work great, not with constant errors....IMO. Enjoy your new toy. ;)

9. killyou420

killyou420 Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Finally got the damn thing running the way its supposed to, now to wait till someone cracks root on gingerbread so i can grab a ROM that docent eat thru my 3500 extended battery in 4 hours. I remember my old droid had shitty battery until i switched to a newer rom, now idle it will last like 4 days, or two with heavy use.

10. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Kinda depends on what you are doing with your phone those 4 hours, and what type of coverage you have...

My EVO with stock sprint 2.3.3 would last me 2 days (with the stock battery) - moderate usage of course. (with 2.2, it struggled to last thru' the day, so I was using the 2600mAH extended battery - got me thru' 2 days)

Also, what hardware revision do you have? I've heard (not sure) that revision 0004 had some battery life improvements - that's the rev that I had.

11. lesawag

None

Nov 16, 2010
    Austin Texas
    4 hours??? Something has to be going on...what's your up time and awake time??? Sounds like there is a problem there or maybe a run away app. Even the stock battery lasts longer than that.

12. ironman187

ironman187 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    In your head.
    sounds like you got a bad phone, I say suck it up, send the phone back, pay the restocking fee, leave the seller bad feedback for selling you a piece of junk. Then head to your Local Best Buy, where you can get a brand new Evo 4G with a new contract, for free...

Tags: