• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noticeable drop off in performance the last fortnight

t147

Jun 27, 2012
Hi - any help here would be appreciated. I've had my N4 almost exactly a year now, and I've not had any issues with it whatsoever, it's been terrific.

For whatever reason (and I genuinely don't know what might have caused it), the last week or two the performance has really dropped off. There is a very noticeable lag in scrolling pages, opening apps etc ... on top of this the battery, which admittedly has never been amazing, seems to be draining at almost twice the rate I've been used to.

Would a simple factory reset get it back to normal? Or is this just the general lifespan of this phone? Don't get me wrong, I can still use it, just not as easily or enjoyably as I'd become accustomed to. I like my phones, but in terms of tech knowledge, I'm evidently miles off what most of you guys are from what I've read on here, so apologies if some of these things sound stupid/basic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A factory reset should be a last resort, it will lose all your data. It should however also fix whatever problem you are having if the phone is unmodified and running the stock OS.

Before you do that have a look at the battery stats (Settings->Battery) and see what's using it unreasonably; it may just be a misbehaving app that's causing your problem and can probably be fixed by clearing the data/cache for that app.

Lots of possibilities to explore before resorting to "zapping" the whole phone :)

Upvote 0
Thanks very much, appreciate that. I'm pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head and you can pass me my dunce's cap. For some reason 'Android Weather' (an app I never use and haven't, for at least 6 months, had the widget running) was taking up approx. 40% of my battery. Quite how or why that was the case, I've got no idea but suffice to say, I've now uninstalled it and everything seems to be running smoothly again (not to mention my battery's only dropped about 3% in the last hour).

Thanks again. You can stop laughing at me now

Upvote 0

If anyone is laughing at you THEY'RE the dumbasses.

While a recently added app causing batt issues is very common, it's also very common for Most Everyone to Forget That when the issue crops up on Them.

Don't EVER forget, we are ALL ignorant.

Just on different subjects. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
Thanks very much, appreciate that. I'm pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head

Excellent. Glad it helped.

Only a fool laughs at someone seeking knowledge by asking questions, and only even bigger fools believe they know everything and never need to ask.

I'm no fool so no laughter from me, but I can smile because of the good result :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones