1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General noticed new download disappearing bug

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Angelsfan, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Angelsfan

Angelsfan Member
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Anaheim, Ca
    Anyone else experiencing this? I download a picture off the internet for use as a wallpaper. Confirm that it is in my gallery folder and even use it as background. Everything seems fine until next time I use tab or next day, I notice that the picture is missing. This actually happens alot. Sometimes, I'll use file explorer and can see the file in the downloads folder but not in gallery. My friend downloads way more pics off the internet on his tab and experiences this all the time. I also noticed that sometimes the file names show up under downloads and sometimes they just disappear from history. When history still shows it and you click on it, just says file not found. Almost seems like system reverts back and erases anything from point of reset. Hopefully Samsung is aware of this and is working on a fix. I'm just surprised I haven't seen anyone else mention this (anywhere).

Advertisement

2. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Do you have an antivirus app installed? If so, then that might be the reason. My wife saves pics off the net with hers and has not lost any like that.

3. Angelsfan

Angelsfan Member
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Anaheim, Ca
    No. Neither one of us has any type of antivirus app installed.

4. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    wonder if it is saved in cache area where it gets cleared or overwritten. what browser are you using?

5. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    guess what? my downloaded .jpg pics are missing from the /sdcard/download folder. they were there last night when i posted, but today are gone. i downloaded maps a few days ago for my up coming trip and now they mysteriously disappeared, also.

anyone else? any idea why?

6. Angelsfan

Angelsfan Member
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Anaheim, Ca
    i bet this is a widespread problem that not many people are aware of because they either don't download images off the web or if they did, they just chalked it up as human error when it disappeared. Everyone reading this should go download some images off the internet. Make sure you verify it's in the gallery and make note of it. Go back a day or two later and see if they are still there. I have already verified this happening on two different tab 10.1's. mine and my roommates. what are the chances only ours are infected with this bug?

7. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I've downloaded a bunch of pics in the week or so I've had my tab, they all appear to still be there. Are you sure they're not just not showing up in the gallery or something? If you use a file explorer to look in the folder they were in are they not there at all?

8. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    @angelsfan, i think it's a bug. i'm thinking it might have something to do with the backup options under privacy settings. i wonder if their process is screwing up these type of data files.

@clb2196, i use gallery, file manager hd, astro and kies to search and nothing. i know they were downloaded to /sdcard/download, because i verified them a few days ago. in fact, my response to the OP was similar to yours because i checked the same pics (.jpg) and they were there, but the next day i checked they were gone. that's why i returned to this thread and posted again.

9. Angelsfan

Angelsfan Member
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Anaheim, Ca
    The first time I noticed it, I checked the downloads folder using file explorer. The thumbnails were in the folder but when I clicked on them, it said file not found. When I went back in later, the thumbnails were gone too.

I've been downloading more pics to test this out. The last time some pics disappeared, there were blank icons for the pics in gallery. Nothing happens when I click on them.

I downloaded Photovault app I was using on my phone. So far, none of the pics I am hiding using the app have disappeared.

I really hope the Touchwiz update fixes all these bugs.