• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notification for IM and Text, but not for emails

AlanQ

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
I have the GMail app, HTC Google Talk (IM) app and Messages app.

When I first got the phone messages and IMs were coming in with an audible notification. Which is what I wanted.

Then, one night at about 2am, a Google email came in and I also got an audible notification!

I managed to disable notifications for new emails. But now I get no notification for new IMs either. Text messages still fine.

Can someone tell me how to set the phone so that IMs and texts notify, and emails don't.

I have done:
Talk > MENU > SETTINGS >
IM notifications ON
Ringtone Selected

But it doesn't work -- it's as though the settings for GMail are linked to those for Gmail IM and are overriding them.

Many thanks.
Alan

Yeah, the notifications in the sound menu is for all notifications across the entire phone so turning it off will turn off all notifications.

Are you using the default Gmail app, or one the mail app that came with the phone?

If you're just using the Gmail app, turn notifications for the entire phone on. Open the Gmail app, then hit Menu -> More -> Settings -> Select your Gmail account -> Email Notifications (uncheck).

If you use one of the email apps (either the one which comes with the handset, or K9 Mail etc), they have a night time mode which will disable notifications between times you've defined.

Does that help at all?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones