1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Notification Plus...fishy

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by hept193, Jan 10, 2012.

1. hept193

hept193 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I have recently been introduced to Android by purchasing the HTC Wildfire S. So i've noticed a couple of difference about it's operating and other phones.

There isn't any sort of 'Unread SMS notification' sound which would go off at a regular interval until the SMS is read. So I scanned the Andoid App Market for apps and came across "Notification Plus".

Cutting straight to the point now,
    I can't seem to tell whether the application is up to anything sneaky or not. Not entirely sure if the application wants permission simply to provide the service. Help please :)

Advertisement

2. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    jerofld likes this.
  3. whooaahh

whooaahh Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I use Permissions Denied for this. I usually read the reviews of an app going back ~60 days. If I don't like a permission, I use this. However this does require a rooted phone. I have the Droid 3 and I use a simple 1 click app that can root and unroot (incase I need warranty work done, or take it into Verizon Wireless) quickly.

Hope this helps.

4. snapcase

None

Dec 3, 2009
    In this particular case, doing that would probably cause the app to cease functioning.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male

Haven't heard of that app before, but GO SMS and Handcent, two very well known and trusted apps in the Android Market has such reminder features in their settings, so you may want to check those out.

6. hept193

hept193 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    @snapcase

Thanks, had some really good and important information. I was thinking,

The app "Notification Plus" doesn't seem to have access to GPS or Wifi, so even if it were to be doing anything funny, it wouldn't have any means of transporting the data anywhere else...right?

@Whooaahh

That looks like a really useful app, however, I don't fancy rooting the wildfire quite so soon :)

@chanchan05

Yea, i've heard of those, however that would mean using a whole different messaging system/program. I'm quite happy, and liking the current Android messaging system ;)

Thanks for the input guys, the app still seems fishy, i've looked through other apps of the similar sort and managed to pick out this that requires the least permissions but i'm still doubting it alot.

E: Would anyone be able to give me a legitamate reason for why "Notification Plus" would need to be able to "Read phone state and identity"...apart from the reason that the developers need to track the numbers, as means of tracking piracy.

Cheers!

7. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    It just means it wants to monitor a lot of aspects of the phone's state to give you notifications of every kind. I have it on my phone and I am totally fine with it. If you see a camera app with those kind of permissions, then be worried.

8. snapcase

None

Dec 3, 2009
    Well, a lot of games include it too. Sometimes it's for simply being able to "pause" the program while you're receiving a call.

9. hept193

hept193 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I do understand the point of view from which you are coming from however, it pains me to say but I can't help being skeptic of this. I mean i'm you will agree in me saying that 'to give you notification of every kind' is a fairly vague...opinion/view/reason.

But I simply can't think of just why it would need to have that permission :) I'm baffled.

Ooooh, I see. I guess that it a very logical reason however, I don't think that this would apply to the application mentioned ;)

I wish some uber-cool Android programmer happens to see this thread and wishes to explain this to me ~<3

10. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    If someone is going the root route, I actually prefer LBE Privacy Guard to Permissions denied. Sure, PD can block nearly anything, but you have to deal with possible force closes. LBE just blocks the app's access to various things.

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Because it gives you a notification of your messages. Its sort of a "permissions code" (for lack of knowledge of a proper term) problem wherein "notifications" on Android probably uses a single access, so it just needs the same permission to access SMS notifications and calendar notifications etc.

12. hept193

hept193 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Ahh, I see. So the application needs the permission to function, for the notifications. Hmm.

However, I do see now that the letting the application access the nessecary data isn't/shouldn't be a concern but can my phone be prone to hacking, I mean. Could the app be some sort of RAT? Is there a possibility. I'm not sure...

guys?

13. hept193

hept193 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
  14. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    There is no need to continue this thread. The app is completely safe.